(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Gardening instead of blogging

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Gardening instead of blogging

More Sunflowers


Stuff is growing, getting ripe and needing to be picked or dug or weeded and cooked at an amazing and gratifying pace. The cupboards, however, are sadly in need of an infusion of store groceries.Somebody has got to go shopping soon!

Therefore, last night I browned up some maple bacon, sprinkled it over fresh-dug potatoes, whole, just-picked green beans, a bunch of skinny little new greyzinis and regular zucchinis, with a couple of small white onions thrown in for flavor. Then I seasoned the whole affair with Italian seasoning and garlic....no photo however. It was eaten up in somewhat less than a trice.
I was apologizing for serving such a meager concoction, but I guess they liked it.
Or perhaps appetite is the best sauce.
We got done late last night due to a new calf, the tire guy changing all four tires on the Case 4490 and assorted other interesting and character building events. (Don't ask...the rule of a crisis a day whether we need one or not is holding true as ever)


Indian corn, just starting to tassel.

The laundry oasis


***Update: It's not my birthday (it is Nita's..she is 8 in dogs years as am I)
However, I got a present today just the same and a mighty fancy one. My favorite, bestest, dearest cow, Beausoleil, (mother of last year's
Bama Breeze) gave me a heifer calf by Straight Pine Elevation Pete this morning. Liz just found it! I will be open to names that go with the letter and theme if you have any ideas.....FC, you came up with Bama's name? Any suggestions?


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous flowers and oasis too! We have your rain now, but I'm glad, the pastures need it.

Blogger kept kicking us off and I couldn't get my Northview fix!

I have to tell you that you remind me of my best friend, in the way that you think, write, and look.

I showed my daughter the POTG site, and she said OH Look, here is Lynne's twin. Lynne is my best friend and the picture was of you.

She like you and I, lives in an old farmhouse in need of care, but lovingly lived in.

PS: the dinner sounded very good, I can see why it disappeared in nothing flat.

Anonymous said...

Elevation Pete??? Wow! That's quite a gift. Let the naming begin.

Anonymous said...

Fred,sunny Florida,cept it ain't sunny. Cloudy most of the day here.
Nice garden .I rember when that tree held a dog. mine. Maple.Tucker too.
Love ya.
Mappy

threecollie said...

Nita, thank you so much for the kind words. Glad you are getting some rain since you really need it. We have been threatened with a lot the past couple of days, but have pretty much dodged the bullet. I sure hate to see the hurricanes starting up though as they always seem to swing through here and leave a pile of rain.
Neat that I look like your friend....and I feel much the same way about you and a few of my other good net friends. You are folks I know I could sit down for tea or coffee with and never run out of great conversation. I have wonderful real time women friends, some of whom read this, but I enjoy the folks I have met here immensely too.

Shea, thank you so much! That is very kind...and thanks for the link!

NW, speaking of very dear, real time friends. Yeah, I was thrilled. Beauso was two days overdue and hasn't had many heifers so the baby was quite unexpected. We have had very good luck with Pete and made some really nice cows. If he has a fault it is throwing shallow bodied cows and Beauso is deep as a barrel.

Matt, thanks, I remember too the many different things that have happened around the honey locust there. The whole northern side of the garden and the pond are in what used to be the kids' sandbox (makes for easy digging)...than the dog house, wood pile, bird feeders, now my garden. Lots of memories for sure, for sure.
Hope is all with you down there in the cloudy south. I miss your Sunday phone calls.
Love you,
your elderly big sister. lol

Anonymous said...

Okay, I think I'd like to live at your farm :)
Food and EVERYTHING is entirely appetizing. Congratulations on your new heifer!!

Jan said...

I'm kind of happy with my garden in spite of the way I have neglected it. And then I see yours with great envy.

threecollie said...

Teri, thanks, we do eat well, which is sort of a side benefit of farming. There are plenty of messy parts though. I just don't take pictures of those. lol

Jan, any garden is a wonderful thing and as I said to Teri, I only take pics of the good parts.