(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Amazing vegetable marrows

Friday, September 19, 2008

Amazing vegetable marrows



Last winter I won a small contest on MySpace given by a guy named Jesse. Jesse grows and sometimes sells seeds from giant plants. He was kind enough to send me seeds for sunflowers, sweet basil, watermelon, amaranth and vegetable marrows. We got one marrow early in the season, then the plant went wild, sending vines thirty feet or more in several different directions. As the vines were threading themselves through tall grass on a steep bank behind the house we didn't pay too much attention to them.

Yesterday there were serious frost warnings out. Liz and I spent much of the day picking, covering, and moving tender plants. We also began taking down the plantings in the garden pond and continued the absurd saga of trying to capture the gold fish to bring them inside (they seem to like it out there).

Just for the heck of it I clumbered around on the grassy bank to see if there were actually any marrows out there. I was so amazed to find these that I hollered loud enough for Liz to hear me from the house. She came out and dragged them down the hill for me and here they are.




Vegetable marrows are a sort of a vining zucchini-type thing. Big as these are....and they are the size of watermelons...they are still tender to the fingernail test. I am kind of nervous about eating them....but aren't they cool?


***Update: I cut the neck of the little one up and put it in a potato, bacon, corn and squash casserole I made last night. It was okay but the regular zucchini had a much nicer flavor.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

mom i'm kinda nervous too. those things will take a week to eat just one.

Matriarchy said...

Wow! Could you maybe shred and freeze it for a year's supply of zucchini-like bread? I wonder if it would act like a pie squash. Be sure to let us know what it's like inside, and what it tastes like, if you eat some.

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

Wow, those are huge! When I saw them, I was going to ask what you had been feeding your zucchinis.

Pretty corn, too!

R.Powers said...

They look like malfunctioning melons.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Those are huge, and tender too, what a great thing to have!

Sorry about the frost ;(

Jan said...

Weird. Were there any flying saucers circling your farm this summer?

Freste said...

Some mornings I feel just how they look.

Frost? Didn't you just have summer last weekend?

threecollie said...

Alan, maybe I will chop one up and boil it for the doggies

Matriarchy, I probably could....the one I cut up was kind of weird inside...sort of starting to dry up and get pulpy. It didn't taste too bad, but if I grow them again, it will be for the novelty of it or for the fair. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

Aussie O, amazingly they did it all on their own. I planted a hill of them on the edge of a little patch of potatoes in what is essentially reclaimed lawn...didn't even give them a speck of fertilizer. I can not imagine what they would do if I fed them....maybe I will find out next summer, he he

FC, you probably could have heard me in town when I found the first one

Nita, I haven't been out yet this morning but I think we have dodged the bullet, at least down here off the hill, yet again....soon though

Jan, you know, we have seen some strange lights in the sky...


Steve, heck we have summer all day and ice cubes all night.

Jeffro said...

Wow! I've never heard of such a thing. Impressive!

Anonymous said...

You don't have any nuclear waste buried around your farm, do you?

threecollie said...

Jeffro, they are pretty cool, thanks

Akagaga, hmmmm, anything is possible....lol