(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: First frost 08

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

First frost 08

A collage of fall colors from the ride yesterday.
All taken from a moving car, but you get the idea of how pretty things are these cool autumn days.


Sorry about no post yesterday. Seems we are so busy it is like we are hurtling downhill in a race to get who knows where or why and no time to stop for anything. I am having a hard time even getting all my comments answered and I apologize.

The first frost came night before last. Just a light one in some places but hard enough for ice in others. Any tomatoes that weren't covered are toast. I am going to have to pick all the rest...maybe today if I get the Farm Side done in time. It is 33 now so we will probably get another before dawn. I picked some sunflower seeds to save yesterday as the blue jays are mowing through them with amazing alacrity.

The boss and I ran over to Altamont to pick up a beef we had processed yesterday. It was a Holstein steer that didn't finish all that well so we had it all put into minute steaks, hamburger and stew beef. Tested the first last night...very tasty. Beck made gravy with minute steaks...very tender.




Picked up half a bushel of apples on the way. I have been craving apples and ours are still so green as to be barely edible for some reason. Most of the winesaps split from late heavy rains I guess so the best they will be is jelly...which I would like to make if they ever ripen. These are galas, golden delicious and Jonagold...all terrific varieties. The Delicious won't keep long, but you can't beat em at this time of year...especially chilled. I had the first one on the way over yesterday and it was icy cold from sitting outdoors overnight. Indescribable!

Off to the barn now. Have a good one.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Off to the barn now!....brrrr...i don't miss those days at all....don't get me wrong, i did love the farm, but when you're gone from it..some things you just don't miss...and it's that dreaded cold weather, lack of vacations, unexpected broken water pipes, walking into a flooded barn, etc.. i think everyone gets the picture..

i enjoy your site...reliving all my past farm life thru you..;)

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

I love your fall colors - sorry about the frost :(. We have dodged the bullet so far.

Unknown said...

First frost! We're still in summer mode down here. A big sign that summer is over is when a cold front finally brings some crisp dry air down here ... and lo and behold, we get our "last dew".

Caroline said...

Boy, do your pictures make me homesick for fall in the Adirondacks and Lake Champlain!
Our predominant color in the Black Hills of SD is yellow, yellow and more yellow!
Caroline

Freste said...

We have two colors in my neck o the woods. Green (spring, winter) and beige (fall, summer).

How lucky you are! Love the pic of the apple oosas. Winesaps? Mmmmmmmmmm. Any Fuji's in your mix?

I probably won't see frost for another two months. Did you not just thaw out from your white blanket not too long ago?????

threecollie said...

Anon, sometimes it is worth it. Sometimes not so much. lol

Nita, we are having a very lovely fall after several years of drab colors....very enjoyable.

Robert, last dew....I like that. I like your blot too....fascinating stuff!

Caroline, I wish we had time to take a trip up to Speculator. It has got to be glorious, but we are tied down. Sorry you are missing the colors. This is the first fall in several years where they have been so nice.

STeve, no fugis....I don't really like them. The winesaps are out on a tree in the yard. First time it has ever made more than a dozen apples. It is the one i took the picture of the blossoms this spring. Apples are no where near as pretty as these, which I bought or as tasty either. I am hoping to make jelly with them if they ever get ripe.

Linda said...

Gosh I love your color collage. We had our first frost what seems like a long time ago. I've finally accepted a new season:)

threecollie said...

Linda, thanks! today it feels as if we are back to summer....66 degrees F. Just finished harvesting some tomatoes which have been covered with a canvas for the past few days. Guess I will leave it off tonight and see what happens.

Anonymous said...

Altamont? You were in Altamont? Next time stop by - then I can wish I had apple pie jelly or something to offer you! Ah, a freezer full of fresh beef, that's wonderful!

threecollie said...

Teri, thanks! We weren't quite all the way there...turned the other way off 20 to go over to Nichols where we get our beef processed.