(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Hard frost last night

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hard frost last night




The TV news report says that it is the official end of the growing season
....maybe.....I haven't taken the canvas off the tomatoes yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we still get a few more. They ripened late and very slowly but we have had all we could eat plus lots to freeze.




The fire in the outdoor woodstove is very welcome these days. This old house is cool in summer and absolutely frigid in winter. (All you folks who have made us blankets and lap robes...you know who you are...we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Our toesies thank you too.)




As soon as all the geraniums I am giving up on (I normally bring in every single geranium and struggle all winter to keep them lush and nice. This year...just a few...I grow them from seed anyhow so I end up with a ridiculous number of them) actually freeze I am going to refill the pots with a little fresh earth and plant lettuce in them. We have grown lettuce indoors for a couple of years now and you can't beat it if you have a bright window.




Liz is off here for this today. Her favorite cowboy, Cord McCoy, is there to sign autographs and ride and her other favorite, Kody Lostroh is too. As of yesterday they were first and second in the standings, which was pretty cool.




It is a long drive to a different state. As the official motherperson I will worry all day and night until she is home. (It is my job and I take my work seriously.) She wanted me to accompany her and I would have loved to go, but it was felt in certain corners that I should stay home and work. So I did. No morning off this week, but it was a pretty morning and I didn't really mind all that much being out. I hope she has a great time and brings home lots of good photos. I hope she meets that nice cowboy that she talks to on the Internet. I hope she calls home soon........


9 comments:

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Beautiful pictures, but it does look cool, our fire has felt good at night too.

We appreciate the coolness in the summer in our old house, but it gets nippy in the winter. But, the heating pad is reserved for the keyboard - it kicks a little when the temp drops too much. :)

I wish more parents worried about their kids. Sigh.

Thanks for the link to Farmside!

Linda said...

We're warmer than you are! We're warmer than you are! (chanted like a little kid) Nice pictures! I really like your new header.

threecollie said...

Nita, Thanks, it is really chilly for October...feels more like the middle of November.
She got home fine, but I was a wreck all day. lol


Linda, That is the frosting on the cake...get it? Frosting? lol It is REALLY cold this morning and I am out of wood. What do you think the odds are the boss will actually go get me some?
And thanks

Deb said...

Your photos are beautiful ~ I love your new header.

I hope Liz had a great time and glad that she arrived home just fine. As much as we love them they really are the cause of gray hair aren't they? :)

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures-does look like a fire is in order and a few quilts.

Anonymous said...

Fred My darling wife just last week finished my blanket.Its the blue twill one that was on the loom when you were here last. Its soo much softer than the ones woven on the power looms!!!! Just as warm too. Was going to bring it with me but at two o'clock AM I don't think very well.
Love ya
Matt

threecollie said...

Deb, thanks, I was so happy to see her walk into the barn...it was a four-hour strange drive with lots of Interstates....I know I have at least ten more grey hairs!!lol

Tipper, you betcha! You can't imagine how many blankets we own and there are never too many that is for sure!

Matt, send me a pic! Send me a pic to put on here! I can't wait to see it....
love you,
your older sister

Rebz said...

Love! the morning frost picture- it just settles my soul.
Peace-
joce

threecollie said...

Thanks, Joce, peace to you and yours as well.