(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Just Before the Storm

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Just Before the Storm

This is snow, although it was pretty dark by the time it started

Yesterday, uncounted thousands of blackbirds surrounded the house. I think it was the largest single flock of them I have ever seen. The din was amazing. If you play the video, try turning the sound up. This is just a tiny fraction of them. They completely surrounded the house and buildings and were lined up in the sky and in trees all along the Thruway and in the neighbor's corn field. The banging sound is rain hitting the tin roof of the porch...just before the snow began.


Blackbirds



Multitudinous blackbirds and another strange bird.

4 comments:

Jinglebob said...

"It will keep the snow over there or get the hose! "

;)

threecollie said...

Jinglebob, I would like to send it out over the ocean or something.....

DayPhoto said...

That is really strange! I'm glad you were able to record it.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

threecollie said...

Linda, It was wild! I think it was what is called a fall out

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/louisiana/preserves/art16540.html

Not normal for here but this was not a normal storm. I was stunned by the number of birds involved. I was sitting there reading and the sheer noise sent me outdoors to see what was going on. They were gone as quickly as they came.