(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Liberating Lucy

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Liberating Lucy



As longtime readers may know, we received a while back the unlikely gift of a turkey hen that is imprinted on people. Her name is Lucy. She is tame, sweet, and staggeringly stupid. She is a lovely sort of slate blue and turkey brown. She walks around the yard, beak pointed upward, chirping in a soft, melodious voice that sounds like a mother tenderly cooing to her babe. You can walk right up to her...except when you need to put her in the hen house. (Did I mention that she is about as smart as a lump of butter.?)





Who knew that when we decided to let the hens, absurdly multitudinous roosters, and good old Lucy range free during the day, getting her back inside would be so darned hard?

The first night Becky went out to close the door on the hens, as farm bird care is nominally her job. She returned much scratched and not too happy, ranting and raving about how hard it is to catch and carry a turkey. Yeah right. She is such a drama queen.

Then last night she wanted to watch some special TV show and the sun sets kinda late these days (for which I am everlastingly grateful). So I said I would put the birds away when it got dark.

A quarter to ten. The sky to the East and North is still glowing peachy gold, with puffy dark grey clouds, like fat smoky cats littering the horizon. I take my trusty flashlight and revel in the fact that it is still lightish at ten at night. I love the long days. Just love them.

A swirl of the light through the hen house reveals sleeping hens and roosters, like feathered fruit, on every high place.

No Lucy.

I find her sitting alone in the middle of the driveway looking very sorry for herself. When she sees me she starts to walk quickly away so I grab her tail. Everyone who has ever captured poultry knows you never grab the tail. The grab-ee turns into an instant self-propelled windmill, whirling on frantic wings until the tail feathers all pull out. The bird runs away, less fluffy in the rear perhaps, but free from your clutches anyhow. Well, if you think grabbing a chicken that way is exciting, try a turkey. Her huge, heavy, wings drummed on my arms and smashed my face. Her tail didn't pull out but I let go....just couldn't hang on.

So I herded her through nettle and burr, up almost to the door of the hen house. She obviously wasn't going in so I grabbed her again, this time by the base of her wings. What a powerhouse! When she flapped, I flapped. She doesn't look very big but I felt like the little dog that finally caught the car. I staggered over to the coop, threw her inside, and slammed the door.

Turkeys are strong. All that thick breast meat? Pure muscle. Schwarztenbirdie personified so to speak I am not sure I want to do that every night so I am thinking of closing dear Lucy in the caged part of the hen house and letting only the hens run free. I am not so sure that I will win the next time.


17 comments:

NumberWise said...

Love it! Wonderful way to start my day.

Earl said...

Catching the hen? I thought the game was in the chase. Nice story.

Jeannelle said...

Haha....our dairy supply driver gives us a frozen turkey at Thanksgiving time, but we've never had a live one around here. I'd say you have a unique pet there, even if she doesn't know much.

Love your photos.....especially the first one. Looks like evening summer sunshine. Have a great day!

joated said...

HA! What a wonderful word picture ou've painted here. Too bad you didn't get this battle on tape. It would make the Wrestling Federation green with envy.

joated said...

...or it could become a new event on the rodeo circuit. The Turkey Roundup.

Dani said...

Okay, so maybe I don't want a pet turkey. LOL.

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

is there a way to lure her closer to the pen with bits of bread or whatever turkeys like? she sounds cute, any pics?

Jan said...

Lucy may have had plans for the evening which you thoughtlessly thwarted. :-)

DayPhoto said...

Given that you have all those hungry predators out there you save Lucy life. What she doesn't seem to realize.

Still, I had to laugh and snort because I so did enjoy your word pictures!

What a bird, what a bird!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Mappy said...

Fred don't you just love the birds????? MMMmmmm Tasty!!!!!
Love ya

lisa said...

Have to love those great big birds. In my freezer that is.

Anonymous said...

What a hoot............I haven't laughed so hard in a very long while!

Teri C. said...

Great story! I KNOW what it's like to try to catch a chicken, and I never plan to try to catch a turkey, especially after that read!

Anonymous said...

lol how amusing, some how i feel like i'm missing out on all the fun
p.s i like your included photographs

threecollie said...

NW, glad you enjoyed it. Thanks

Earl, thank you.

Jeanelle, I like Lucy, but the kind your driver gave you is probably safer. lol. Thanks,

Joated, thank you so much. And I am really, really, really, really glad no one was taping it. lol My dignity was sadly bruised along with my arms. I like the idea for a rodeo event. We could find out just how tough those guys really are

Dani, Last night we herded her in, which worked much better.

KK, I am not sure..she is not too bright. Sort of dinosaur like in her approach to life. She is afraid of me now, which is kind of sad, but she comes to me if I talk to her in turkese...

Jan, you could be right! As clever as she is, she probably made a hot date with canis latrans. lol

Linda, she is hilarious in her silly turkey way. She ran away when I went out to build a fire in the woodstove and hid out in the tall grass. Then she started talking...."Cut, cut, cut..." in her soft turkey voice. I called back in my sad excuse for a turkey call. Her little white head popped up out of the shrubbery and after just a bit more chatting she came right out to me....

Matt, I suspect tough would fit as well.

Lisa, lotta meat on her anyhow.


LInda, I have to admit, even as I was being pummeled and wing whomped I was laughing too.

Teri, think chicken, only a lot bigger and so much tougher you could believe ostrich...easily. lol

Moresecretwhispers, thank you! In a macabre way it was sorta...kinda...fun. lol

Jinglebob said...

Try just putting her up on a high fence or such. Turkey's like to roost high. Usually are settled in before dark. That keeps them safe from coyotes and such.I don't think they like being in a building. Claustrophobic?

threecollie said...

Jinglebob, thanks I couldn't believe she was too dumb or too fat to fly up into the granary or something. She is going in nights now though so we just shut the door