(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The Humming Hen

Monday, August 24, 2009

The Humming Hen

I must have passed inspection. She hovered inches in front of my face, peering into my eyes with her round bright ones. Small eyes to have so much to say, like jet beads in shining jade. The camera hung around my neck...sunrise you know...but if I moved she would be gone..poof...the way they do. So frozen I watched as she plumbed and probed cactus flower and geranium, flitting over every so often to re-inspect the edges of my shirt sleeves and peer into my eyes. She stayed a long time for someone in such a hurry.

6 comments:

Teri C. said...

Such a gift - the experience. Lovely words to share it, thank you.

colleen said...

Lovely. Well said.

Melissa Hart said...

Hey Three Collie - You commented asking for a recipe for Peach Jam....I just use the recipe in the sure-jell package. I also use the recipe for spiced peach jam in the Ball Blue Book. I"m such a wimp when it comes to trying new things with jam, I'm just happy when it actually sets up and I can hear the popping sound of lids sealing!

Dani said...

Tell them it's time to start headin' south! :)

Ericka said...

very cool description, and experience. neat!

threecollie said...

Teri, it felt like a gift to me. I have spent very little time on my sitting porch this summer...bad weather, business and a lot of sad hard stuff going on. I happened to go out because the sunrise was lovely and she just showed up. It was sweet and awesome

colleen, thank you

Melissa, thanks for taking time to let me know. If I can get some peaches I will give it a try. We love all things peach!

Dani, it is amazing how late they stay some times, but most years they leave about now...

Ericka, thanks