(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Haying in November

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Haying in November

Winterberry Holly Photo by Alan

Is a pretty darned weird thing to be doing. However, that is what the boss has been up to. We had so much rain this summer (I blame China) that he and Alan had a terrible time getting in feed. Now whenever we have a day or two of decent weather he is chopping a load here and a load there, just to try to stuff enough in the bags to make it through til spring.

Yesterday he took off a field on Seven County Hill that was covered with brown and green fluffy, puffy grass. He canvased up an old hay wagon and chopped it into that resulting in the nicest bedding you could imagine. It was so nice to let the girls inside last night and to know that they had wonderful, soft comfy beds to lie in. Bedding has been kind of short and this was so much nicer for them. I limed the walkways and with the new bedding and the nice, white floors the barn was pleasantly bright for work.

They are calling for rain again today so probably no haying. No lack of things to do, although if I had my way he would get to sleep in his chair today. He is pretty darned tired out. I have to get my old guitar out, dust it off and hurry up and learn Steve Earle's Dixieland for tomorrow. Family get together planned and middle brother (the one with the talent) and I are going to play a bit I guess. Trust me, I will not be playing like Steve Earle...instead just a few bare and bony chords will escape from my arthritic fingers and tarnished strings. Liz is making chocolate cuppy cakes and Alan's newly famous pumpkin bars should be forthcoming as our contribution to the event.

Have a good one anyhow. It is Saturday and you know what comes after that.

Yeah, that's right...Sunday

7 comments:

lisa said...

We think you are good on the guitar! We love to hear you both playing! Can't wait for tomorrow, I think it is going to be a great day! We just wish that we could get your hubby to come and then that would make the family complete! I am glad that you have been able to get some more hay! My contribution for tomorrow is garlic bread! Yours sure sound good!

joated said...

Enjoy your weekend.

Anonymous said...

I saw a baler out finishing up and a swather out cutting hay just last week.......at least you're getting it done. Have a great weekend!

R.Powers said...

Haying in November sounds perfectly normal from this latitude.

I love the affection for your livestock that flows through your writing.

threecollie said...

Lisa, thank you. It is so kind of you to say so. Mike always humbles me so much..he is so talented. Today was beyond wonderful. Can't remember when I last had such a good time. And your garlic bread was wonderful!

Joated, did, thanks very much

Linda, thanks, hope you had a good one as well.

FC, thanks, you can't do this and not want to take care of them. Sometimes when times are hard it is hard, but do the best we can.

DayPhoto said...

We had snow this weekend...and horrible heavy frost this morning. Everythings dead here.

Hope you are able to get done, before this stuff makes it's way across the heartland into your world!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

threecollie said...

LInda, I am hoping and praying that it gives us a miss! One more field and a little more corn....