(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Cold With Possible Irruptives

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Cold With Possible Irruptives


Yep, it's winter. Not my favorite season. Barn has flooded three times this week because of sump pump failure.

Hope they got that fixed finally. I am sure the men hope so more than I do, as they are the ones who have to pump water out of one gutter and into the other...Alan got kicked pretty good working behind one cow named Baha. Don't know what has gotten into her lately but she sure has turned miserable. Liz got kicked too, in the knee just like Al.

What is up with these cows? Really I think they just don't like this kind of weather either. They are inside a fairly warm barn and have what they need to eat brought to them, but it is still probably not as comfortable as when it is say, fifty degrees, which our milk inspector says is a cow's favorite temperature (I lean towards 70 myself.)

Anyhow I am working at grinning and bearing it, as there are plenty of people who are experiencing much worse weather than we are....it is winter after all.

The cold sure does bring in the birds. I think I saw a red poll day before yesterday when I was on the phone with the milk inspector (discussing Liz's upcoming trip to Iowa). I didn't have my glasses on so I am not going to be betting on it yet....but I think so.

I won't lie. I am real nervous about that trip. It is an honor to be chosen to represent the entire Northeast region of the National Farmers Organization and I am excited for Liz. What an opportunity!

On the other hand, guess where she has to change planes.
And January is winter there too, with all sorts of accompanying weather possibilities. I will be glad when it is done and she is home and regaling us with stories of all the goings on.

Well, time to milk the cows and then polish up my own year in review essay for this week's Farm Side. Stay warm if you can.

10 comments:

Dani said...

Ouch, Ouch, Ouch! I sure would not like getting kicked by a cow. Nope, not at all.

What an adventure Liz is gonna have! So exciting getting on a plane and flying somewhere else that you've never been to before.

Teri said...

Ugh! Where have I been? Liz is going to Iowa! Congratulations to her...that is so exciting! She is a sturdy woman in every sense and she will be just fine...but I suppose moms always worry, yes?
I'm not swearing so much today now that the wind is gone - hoping it's easier for you all with barn duties too.

~ Sara ~ said...

If it makes you feel any better, around these parts (which is still a far piece from Iowa) if we have a nasty Dec. Jan. will be fairly OK weather wise.

And let me tell you Dec has been COLD and nasty. We've never had this much cold, wind, and rain in Dec. before. I'm personally ready for SPRING and have been looking over seed catalogs. :)

Melissa Hart said...

I know it's not good to rejoice in others sufferings, but it sure is nice to know we aren't the only ones with flooded gutters! 4 out of 7 mornings we have a flooded manger of a couple of stalls from over-zealous water bowls or a cracked pipe! My husband has become a wonderful plumber!

Deb said...

Congrats to Liz - how exciting for her. She'll do great Mom...she comes from tough stock :)

Sorry about the gutters - water in cold weather is just miserable.

I hope Al & Liz heal quickly. Cow kicks are miserable. No kickers here yet but we have a horned heifer who likes to use them, especially when we are in the manger. I don't think she will be here long!

Stay warm and dry.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! The knee has to be the worse place to get a whack! Liz will be fine, it'll be a great adventure for her.

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

Ya, this is not my favorite farming weather, frozen water, howling wind. The barn door came off the track yesterday and it was just to cold to bother messing with it, at least it came off in the closed position.
Congrats to Liz, you must be a very proud mama...

Cathy said...

I've just been moseying through the past weeks at Northview.

It always leaves me nostalgic for a place and life I'll never know.

Oh, yes. I know that it's not romantic and the mental and physical stress of managing an operation such as your family's is beyond my imaginings. but - it's so real, so anchored in the world of family, business, people, landscape, animals, buildings, equipment and technology.

Most of us never experience such three-dimensionality on a daily basis.

This city girl sends her deepest admiration and warmest wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year.

P.S. I've meandered too and fro throughout your blog, leaving my little impressions and exclamations. Don't bother with replying to them - just know that I enjoyed the trip immensely)

Sandcastle Momma said...

I feel bad for your kids getting kicked but I have to agree that the cows are probably a little on the cold side and that's making them cranky. You know they watch you walk back towards the house and are thinking "Fine, go inside where it's warm!" LOL
Liz will do great on her trip and I can't wait to hear about her adventures.

threecollie said...

Dani, it is part of the job I guess, but certainly not the best part. We are excited for Liz and proud as heck but pretty nervous just the same.

Teri, We are delighted for Liz...and I hate the wind...just hate it...hope it goes away and stays gone

Sara, ah, seed catalogs! I am so delighted that they have started coming...you can practically warm your hands over the pictures the colors are so bright and happy

Melissa, sorry for the shared misery! Chores are challenging enough without glitches and breakdowns. Thanks for the kind words on DAT. I would link to it, but for some reason I can't/

Deb, I don't know what has gotten into Baha. She has always been nervous but this kicking out behind is a new thing

Linda, she will certainly have stories to tell and I can't wait to hear them! lol

WW, coincidentally we had a door hang up too. Don't know how the guys got it going again, but they did somehow.

Cathy, thanks for visiting and for all your kind comments. It is such a pleasure to read them....just like opening Christmas presents.