(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Nippy

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Nippy

The musical brother and me at that family get together a while back
Photo shamelessly stolen from niece's Facebook


Gettin' nippy here in the North Country. All was frosted this morning, with the heifers blowing smoke rings as they huddled against the south wall of the barn soaking up thin, early sunlight.

Sure pretty like that. When it is sharp and cold you can see for miles and hear the geese calling about that far too. The moon was so bright on its way down this morning that you could see that it was not just a round, flat disc in the sky, but rather a big, fat, sphere. Wish I had had time to go back in for the camera, but the cows were waiting, along with Liz who went out early to get a good start on the day.

Missed some amazing shots on the trip to take Becky back last Sunday as well. The mountains around Indian Lake were covered with a thin coat of wet, icy snow. It was grey and cloudy, but narrow spotlights of sun brought them into blazing focus, with threads of fog flowing off them and merging with fuzzy-edged snow clouds like chilly silver. On the way home it was actually snowing up there and it was like a curtain going up and down as they came briefly into view and than vanished in whirling clouds. The mountains never disappoint us it seems, although we still haven't seen a moose. We keep staring into every bog and swamp and tamarack-spiked little black lake, but alas no alces alces to be seen.

11 comments:

Dani said...

I love seeing pictures of you! And your writing voice as always is beautiful.

~ Sara ~ said...

I can picture it all... If I close my eyes it's if I'm there. Beautiful...

R.Powers said...

Nice shot!
We are looking at freezing temps by the weekend.

Sandcastle Momma said...

Your description is beautiful!

DayPhoto said...

You are an amazing writer! I see what you see. Wonderful

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

lisa said...

Here I was keeping your identy quite and what do you do, give up the guessing game!

Anonymous said...

Are those mountains you're talking about in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness area? That was my favorite stomping ground when I could still get out backpacking. And I've always loved the view from the lookout on top of the hill.

I've never seen a moose, either, except on those signs that people keep stealing. Maybe it's all just a tourism gag. Maybe we should put up our own signs. You could have this one: Beware of the fisher!

threecollie said...

Dani, thanks, I generally hate pics of me, but I kinda liked this one so I stole it. lol

Sara, thank you...that is one good thing about this generally challenging life. The beauty is there if you can find time to notice it between the craziness

FC, shamelessly stolen. lol Rain here and too much of it

SCMomma, thank you

Linda, thank you...I love playing with words.

Lisa, you are a dear. I don't know what possessed me to put this up...a weak moment I guess. lol

akagaga, I looked it up on a map and I think they are. And yes, we do need a beware fisher sign. Or a beware whatevertheheck is hissing and snarling down in the creek most nights when we go over to milk. It is dark then.....makes me very nervous. lol

Jinglebob said...

Nice to finally see what you look like. When you come to visit we will have to play guitars.

syciciti

Anonymous said...

I know you weren't lip syncing either.........you'd have been called out for that at any family gathering ;) Nice to SEE you, better to hear you too!

threecollie said...

JB, now that sounds nice indeed. The brother is the one with all the ability. I just sort of follow along...except on Danny's Song, which I believe is what we were singing there. I sometimes sing part of that. lol

LInda, thanks...guess someone did record it and it wasn't so wonderful, but the audience (our family) liked it. lol