(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Bailey

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bailey


And Beausoleil.

They love me. I know they do. (Well, really I admit it is probably more like the bovine equivalent of anthropomorphism. They think I am a calf.......)

A little background...when we milk the cows, we first prep their teats for the application of the milking machine. Although other dairies use other methods, we prep with a half and half solution of Clorox and water in a spray bottle....spray on a few splurts, clean and dry thoroughly with a paper towel (sometimes repeating as needed), strip out the foremilk and attach the milker. When the cow has yielded up her share of the bounty, remove milker, spray again with more of the Clorox and water and you are good to go.

Simple and effective, right? Well except if you are me (or sometimes Becky if she is milking on my string with me, which she rarely does any more). Then when you get to the aforementioned cattle it gets much more interesting. They are both big old sweeties, Beausoleil is our oldest cow in fact, and they think I am a sadly deformed, but still lovable calf. Thus when I bend over to perform the prepping ceremony they treat me accordingly. (Not being fleet of knee I bend my back to milk).

Beausoleil is the most enthusiastic about grooming me up for the day. She grabs the back of my shirt and pulls me close if I try to stand out of reach. Then lick, lick, lick, with her seemingly bath towel sized, sandpaper rough and soggy wet tongue. Despite polishing my prepping technique until I am the fastest Clorox sprayer in the west (or east...whatever) she finds plenty of time to soak me thoroughly, pull my tucked in turtle neck out and completely ruffle up my composure. If I don't cooperate properly she will even push me up in reach of her snaky long neck with her hind foot...(which is more than slightly disconcerting). Sometimes I feel like a Timex.......

Bailey isn't quite such a dampening influence, but she "loves" me too. Her specialty is grabbing the tiny little seam on my jeans pocket and trying to drag me into the manger so she can do a good job of spiffing me up. You wouldn't think an animal with a mouth as big as a cow could to that. (if you wear jeans try taking a hold of that tiny little flap of cloth. Now imagine dragging a fat old lady around by it.) Bailey, who like all cows, has no upper front incisors, does it every day. It amazes me. (Between her and Beausoleil it also gets me all wet for the rest of milking.)

Guess I am glad that I am not a calf, but they are both real favorites of mine. Nice, gentle, sweet-natured cows, they are both a pleasure to milk despite the side effects of their affection. I wish all the cows were just like them.....except for the eating me alive part.....


****Liz is flying home to us today. Your prayers and good thoughts would be much appreciated. We sure have missed her!!

14 comments:

Mappy said...

I'm with ya Fred !!God speed for Liz!!
Love ya
Mappy

lisa said...

I can't wait to see how much fun Liz had! I loved it when our steer was soo friendly that he would moo for us to come and give him attention with pets and scratches!

Dani said...

Woohoo! Your Liz is coming home!

Those two old gals seem so precious. I would never imagined them being so loving and attentive with people.

How old are they?

Jeffro said...

Bucket calves are the largest lickers we had to endure - they just don't have the authority of an experienced cow!

Deb said...

I hope Liz had a wonderful time - will keep her in our thoughts for her safe return. I KNOW you will so HAPPY to have her home :)

I'd love to have a couple of old gals in my small string like your two. I could do without the morning bath though...lol.

Have a great day ~

~ Sara ~ said...

I love my friendly cows... they are all but gone at this point. My FAV. was a 1400 pound Brahma/Holstein cross... sweet as sugar and would still suck my hand at 6 years old... it's a shame none of her heifers were as sweet.

Hope Liz had a great time!!!

threecollie said...

Matt, thanks kiddo, love you

Lisa, I can't wait to talk to her either...once she gets some sleep and gets done with jet lag...and your steer was a pretty neat critter

Dani, I simply cannot wait...so many hours left to go right now. I will be so glad when she is home.
Bailey is seven and Beausoleil is twelve years old.

Jeffro they are on one hand kind of aggravating and on the other they are nice old cows.

Deb, they are nice old things....I can't wait for Liz. I miss her and there are things that she does that I simply don't do as well as she does...

Sara, I love to read about your cows on your blog. I was so impressed today to read about your classification scores. The highest cow we ever had was a VG, although we haven't classified in many, many years.

DayPhoto said...

Aren't cows just the best!? This was a wonderful post and ever so much fun to read.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

joated said...

You had me laughing with your word picture of the dear old gals "spiffing" you up. I will never complain about Chester (my 18 pound lover/licker of a pussycat) seeking out my bare skin again. I'll just think of those bath towel sized tongues you've got to endure.

June said...

What great, loving animals!

Faithful said...

LOL..I enjoyed reading about your morning bathtime. I so gotta love a cow..esp the good ole gals. They give so much.

I'll be sure to put your girl in my prayers for a safe return home.

Anonymous said...

Awww, it's nice to be loved ain't it?

threecollie said...

LInda, thanks, they are pretty special to me too.

Joated, it amazes me just how wet they can get me and how quickly. lol..I had to milk a cow in Becky's line last night, Balsam, and I had forgotten that she is also a people eater...she remembered though!

June, they are

Faithful, thanks! She made it just fine, despite some serious running in the Detroit airport because of a delayed flight. It is good to have her home.

Linda, yeah...lol

Cathy said...

This is so sweet. I really didn't know you took a licking like that from those cows :0)