(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Back to Barn Checks

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Back to Barn Checks

After a couple weeks of peace after Etrain had that gigantic bull calf, it is back to O'dark-thirty in the morning excursions to the barn to check springers....springers are cows that are close up to calve. Right now there are three, my milking shorthorn, Broadway, a tiny little black Holstein named Magic, and arguably one of the nastiest cows we own, a largely-white daughter of Four-of-a-Kind Eland. We like our Eland daughters as a rule, but the less said of Crescendo the better. Still good or bad, loved or dreaded, they all get the same care and that means barn checks.

I can't tell you how comfy my bed was this morning. Soft, warm, peaceful...well except for the wind howling that is. And you can easily bear raging weather from the depths of fifteen quilts and afghans (well, maybe not fifteen, but you get the idea.) It is not quite as easy when you know you have to go out in it.

But I did. I had been dreaming of shorty calves all night. Milking shorthorns are not the most highly thought of in the dairy cow line...by some folks anyhow. However, we really like them. Our shorty steers grow up quite thick and sturdy and the only heifer we have milked so far, Broadway, gives as much milk as a Holstein. I value my B-Dub as I call her, and even if I didn't duty was calling loud and clear.

Sometimes a nighttime/almost/sorta morning barn check offers an unexpected beauty, clean white snow, sparkling stars, dazzlingly clean air blowing by, any of the other features of the thick of night may be present. This morning the sky was a muddy grey, the snow was worn out from yesterday's traffic and I was afraid of the damn fisher, which has been tracking up the creek every night.

Still I got er done and am back in the house, comfortably accompanied by that wonderful first cup of coffee. Everybody is fine, no calves yet though, so unless they all have them today I will be doing this again tomorrow.

Have a good one!


5 comments:

lisa said...

I'm glad that the short horn is working out good. More milk the better! One thing nice but mornings now is that at least we don't have to freeze to death. It is a little warmer.

Deb said...

I'm not missing doing chores or taking Tyler to the bus stop in the dark a.m. I really like early daylight :)
I hope your cows calve soon and have healthy heifers for you :)

joated said...

O'dark thirty is the worst time to have to get out of bed! Even if it's for something enjoyable like hunting or fishing, it' still seems a chore. And on a cold windy morning....BRRRR!

Looking forward to reports of good, healthy heifer calves in the next few days. With photos!

Oh yeah:
Do not fear the fisher. He is your friend as he ferrets out mice and rats around the barns. Perhaps, because your felines are not doing their duty on these cold winter nights. ;-)

DayPhoto said...

Night time calf checks are a mix--for me anyway-- getting up out of the bed, not sleeping well anyway, but still enjoying the bed, stepping outside...into the beauty of a different world, sometimes dark and full of stars or so full of moonlight a flashlight seems stupid.

Then there, by the cow, feeling her warmth ...

Good times

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

threecollie said...

Lisa, they are nice cattle. And it is a bit warmer, although still pretty chilly. sure has been a windy winter!

Deb, I am loving the days getting a little longer. We still need flash lights, but not as often. Thanks for the kind words

Joated, thanks for the kind words. I don't mind rising early, but even a little earlier than one is used to hurts...lol
No calves yet, wish they would get one with it. and I can't help it about the fisher...such a big dark, snarly thing wandering around in the night. He is welcome to the all you can eat rodent buffet, but I hope he leaves the poultry and kitties alone.

Linda, you are so right. I love seeing the secret kitty piles in the leftover hay and the cows looking at me like I lost my mind for being out there in the dark. This morning I went out a little latter and the birds were chattering out in the darkened bushes...kind of nice.