(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Things from Florida

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Things from Florida



A person from the exclusive, two member, best brother in the world clan and his lovely wife sent us oranges this week....the real kind. The ones that taste of sunshine, sharp and tangy and yet fulsomely sweet. They were so welcome. I was literally wishing for fruit, nibbling leaves off the indoor lettuce and wishing for fruit...when the boss came over from the barn with them. (For some reason known only to themselves UPS left them on the milkhouse step.)
Paradise..that is all there is to it.....thanks bro!



And as I was watching the feeder yesterday I realized that among the white-throated and field sparrows there were a couple of white-crowned sparrows. A few minutes later I heard part of their distinctive call. Usually they are here for a week or two in April and then are gone. Nice to see them.

7 comments:

lisa said...

That sure was a nice surprise wasn't it! I couldn't believe how nice they were!

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering. Long about this time every year, I get an absolute obsession about exactly those oranges. Alas, my mother doesn't make the trip south anymore, and the ones in the grocery store just don't cut it. Enjoy!

Mrs. Mecomber said...

I have never had a "fresh" orange, just store-bought ones. I didn't know that "real" ones could look so good!

About the birds-- not to many here, although the cardinals have been busy at the feeder. Think we're going to get an early spring?

threecollie said...

lisa, they were the best, just the best!

Akagaga, I literally have not had oranges that delicious since an early seventies trip to Florida...simply Heavenly!

Mrs. M, sorry for what you have missed. They were wonderful. We haven't had much excitement in the bird department either this winter. Open ground means they can forage for themselves. As for the early spring...no idea...I am not missing the heavy snowfalls we could be having though.

Anonymous said...

we have orange trees and other citrus in our yard. right now I have lemons going to waste because I can't use or give them away fast enough. My kids are farmers and have groves so we have fresh fruit and take it for granted, I know it is a wonderful thing to go out and pick an orange and peel it right in the yard and eat it. I am glad you got some fruit, it is so much better than the store oranges.

threecollie said...

anon, wow, lemons right in the yard! It is hard for a northerner to even imagine, although we have our share of apples in season. It delights me to hear from folks in Florida about fruit and such....It is like some sort of dream to think of going outside and picking something as exotic as an orange or a lemon....and these oranges were simply amazing. Like the sun in food form.

Unknown said...

It is nicknamed the "Sunshine State" because of its generally warm climate—subtropical in the northern and central regions of the state, with a true tropical climate in the southern portion.[6] The state has four large urban areas, a number of smaller industrial cities, and many small towns. The United States Census Bureau estimates that the state population was 18,328,340 in 2008, ranking Florida as the fourth most populous state in the U.S.[7][8] Tallahassee is the state capital, Jacksonville is the largest city, and the Miami metropolitan area is the largest metropolitan area.
Yuriy Mizyuk