(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Dawn Chorus

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dawn Chorus

Kind of thin, but it is out there. Yesterday I heard the first tentative robin song from up behind the horse barn. (And my heart swelled to twice its normal size.) Around noon the first song sparrow tuned up (although there have been a few silent visitors at the feeder all winter).

This morning I went out at first-pink-dawn to attend to yet another barn check (no babies this time). There were at least four distinct robins caroling all up along the back of the yard. Two cardinals down by the neighbor's house. Song sparrows. First red-winged blackbird of the year singing down by the road. First grackle hiding among the starlings in the dead elm behind the heifer barn.

I know we still have winter left. Only one year since I have been at this farm (and so far there have been almost 28 of them) were we able to get out and build fence and get on the ground in March...and it is still EARLY March. However, the early bird gets the worm...or in this case the best nesting site...and it looks as if these guys are ready for spring....although probably not quite as ready as I am.


13 comments:

Áslaug said...

oooo the first precious signs of spring, one of the most wonderful time of the year. I am still waiting here in Iceland for those signs but still it is a little bit too early. Everything can still happen, blizzard, snowstorm but wonderful time in between filled with sun and the promise the spring will arrive.
Every year I wait for that special and wonderful moment when I can go out in the morning with my coffee and listening at the beautiful birdsong while I’m drinking it, it just fill my heart with so much joy and happiness.
Enjoy your day!!!!! :)

Dani said...

I miss seeing your robins...all I have left in the yard is a few gnat catchers and a couple warblers.

Sandcastle Momma said...

It's hard to believe but spring really is coming! I love that it's the birds who bring us such good news.

joated said...

With winds currently out of the south quarter, I imagine there will be more migrants starting to show up soon. Heard geese fly over last night and again this morning.
Hallelujah!

DayPhoto said...

You are seeing more spring birds than us. It seems they know it is still winter here...sigh. But I do see a random Robin or Meadow Lark.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

So you're saying spring IS getting closer! I did see crows the other day but magpies and sparrows are still all we've got :(

lisa said...

We even opened up the window in the house today to let some of the nice weather in. Hopefully, the real cold is done and we can really look for the spring weather.

Teri said...

I heard turkeys! Gave me the same feeling as finally smelling dirt.

Ericka said...

our frogs started singing this week. it was a very good sound.

Dani said...

Teri heard turkeys?! I'm sooooo jealous. They need to come up with little banty turkeys so I can have one. ;)

threecollie said...

Aslaug, it is so wonderful to hear them, even though I know we will be getting more nasty weather before winter is over. I love seeing the seasons change when I am walking over to the barn in the morning. Thanks for the kind words.

Dani, I really appreciate you and FC wintering them over so nicely for us!

SCMomma, same here! Not much at the feeder yet in the way of interesting ones, but soon...

Joated, I love hearing them! Just a few around right now other than the permanent residents, but they will be getting here soon I'll bet.

Linda, it is odd, isn't it, because your spring is so much farther along than ours...

LInda P, in my head I know winter has more to bring us...in my heart I am enjoying listening to the singers. lol

Lisa, matt said you were baking bread with the windows open. Must have smelled like Heaven!

Teri, turkeys, dang...the guys see them up on the hills, but the ones down here by the house have been absent since the fall season. I suspect they are waiting for the snow to melt off the heifer hill (it faces north and thaws late) so they can have their strutting parties out there as usual

Ericka, I am plumb green with frog envy. I love frogs, but they will be a long time before showing up here. Our peepers are even much later than the surrounding area because we face north and are in a cold pocket

Dani, turkeys are really something. I loved our tame one, Lucy, fool that she was, and I felt so bad when a varmint got her.

Cathy said...

Oh Honey! What is it about that first robin song?

I heard my first one yesterday. Had to go to the local botanic garden, but it was so sweet.

I took a friend back there today so that her heart could swell, too :0)

threecollie said...

Cathy, I don't know why robin song has the effect that it does, but I love it. It has been such a long, depressing winter and every new bird that I hear fills me with unreasonable but extremely welcome delight.