(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Firsts

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Firsts



This is the time of year for firsts. Yesterday was no exception.

First herps. Other folks have seen snakes and frogs and all sorts of cool stuff, but here at Northview we were coming up empty in the reptile and amphibian department until yesterday when I was spring cleaning outside the milkhouse. I reached down to pick up some leftover trash and spotted two little orange things wiggling among the crushed stone. At first I thought they were earthworms, but in fact they were red-backed salamanders. Plethodon cinereus is a big favorite of mine. I picked them up to show the girls, then returned them to whatever they were doing when I found them. (I'll bet I can guess.)

The day was full of cleaning and feeding and sweeping and being really ticked off about some BS with our water bill which is turning my hair grey and my temper black. Late in the afternoon I swore one of the guinea fowl had escaped and was down on the long lawn tuning up its unearthly cackle. I had just sat down and did NOT want to get up and go chase it.....However, the "guinea hen" soon turned into a sea gull and then to a cardinal/robin/song sparrow on steroids, and I realized that the mockingbird had just added a new sound to his repertoire.

Then late in the evening, just past first dark, I stood out in the driveway trying to hear the woodcock. I think he was still out there. I think I heard his whistling wing twitter over the din from the Thruway, but I could not be sure.It was really noisy last night with trucks and trains and tons of traffic. However, there was no doubt that the small dark thing that fluttered past my head and went whirling around the back lawn was the first flitter maus of the season.

8 comments:

~ Sara ~ said...

We had our first Anaconda err I mean ground snake the other day in the milk barn... freaked me out! I'm not fond of snakes in the milk barn, house, attic (that where some hibernate here). Give me Cardinals, Robins, Blue Birds... :) Things I can see before almost stepping on.

Hope you have a great day!!!!

joated said...

Haven't seen a bat in quite a while as the white-nose fungus has wreaked havoc upon them.

I used to have a small, active--and welcome--colony sharing the Bolt Hole attic with me. (Well, they were welcome when eating mosquitoes. Not so much when they came into the bedroom.)

Dani said...

Can you make some room in your big ole awesome wooden castle for me?lol

Cathy said...

You lucky ducky. I tramped off into the woods last week to assist in a vernal pool study - just to see a danged salamander.

Nope. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Lots of tadpoles and leeches.

And you find 'em straightening up the yard.

And a mockingbird making like a guinea fowl.

Would you like a dozen fat fox squirrels to complete your Eden?

Those I've got ;-D

Earl said...

Washington must be ahead of you, although the cold returned with high winds today, since a week or so ago I listened to the mating call of the croakers in the pond as I jogged by. I will see what is out there along the road today.

wv haysesse could be a word

DayPhoto said...

I just saw a snake yesterday. A little water snake. The sun is shinning today, The Wind IsN'T Blowing!!!!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

lisa said...

Lucky you and all I saw was a snake. Hope your day goes better tomorrow.

threecollie said...

Sara, we are lucky in the snake department. They mostly stay outside and are for the most part benign.

Joated, not nearly as many here as normal either...same reason. There was a colony across the river...probably living in a cave...that turned the sky black when they came out a couple of years ago. Haven't seen a bat there at all in two years, alas....

Dani, yes, we can, if you can stand the insanity!

Cathy, fox squirrels...hmmm...none of them here yet...what will you trade for?

Earl, I think I may have heard peepers last night, while we were out missing a Farm Bureau meeting while we looked for Alan who didn't come down from cutting brush...he can see in the dark and was still working. I love to hear them and wish I was sharp eyed enough to actually see them.

Linda, hope your sun keeps right on coming east! It is gloomy here again, after a week of glorious weather.

Lisa, I thought your snake was pretty impressive. None of them here yet.