(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Herding Cats

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Herding Cats

With all the frantic spring clean up and the moving of young stock into new pens...each group as the individuals grow larger "graduates" to bigger spaces...we are busy all the time. We need to keep moving right along because if it ever dries out field work will start and then it will really get crazy.

Friday we moved the group that my 3-breed critter, Scotty, is in over to the heifer barn (she is a yearling now). Then we put some youngsters that had been inside the cow barn out in their old pen.


Yesterday, when the boss and I went into the heifer barn to water Scotty's bunch, Betty and Battlemint, a Citation R Maple daughter Alan gave me and a half shorty..hmmm he gave her to me too...were loose in the big, wide flat manger having the time of their lives. They had wormed their way through the feed through and were quite happy with the situation.

Alas they can't stay there where we store their hay, so we filled the water tub, and while we were waiting, fixed the wide place in the feed through where they had escaped.

Enter Kashette, Becky's yellow barn cat (named after a dragon and quite fittingly. she thinks she owns the world). She trotted into the barn and up the manger as if she owned that too.

Betty was quick to dispute that notion. If you have heifers you have probably seen them chase cats (and chickens..and dogs....) However, if you haven't let me tell you it is quite a sight. Hooves thundering on the hollow sounding concrete. Tails in the air. Noses down snorting hot breath on the victim's fanny. It is quite exciting. Battlemint joined the fun and all the big heifers in the other pen galloped along side cheering them on.

Poor Kash flew down the manger and out under the gate at the end. She must have kept right on going and exited by a window in the back of the barn, because when I went outside she was sitting there grooming her coat as if nothing had happened at all.....nothing to see here...move along...she seemed to be saying, but I knew better and so did she.

9 comments:

DayPhoto said...

Sometimes I think the animals like to play games, it is us that doesn't understand this is a game. And a very fun one too!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Rev. Paul said...

I haven't seen the "kitty chase" in quite awhile - thanks for the remembrance, and the laugh.

Anonymous said...

Too funny, 3C. I had never seen this one, but now I have!

And I know the kitty "nothing-to-see, move-along" look. Around here, it generally happens when one of our trio falls off something they shouldn't have been on in the first place. If they don't start grooming, they just lay down like that's where they meant to be.

Cathy said...

We need a movie someday, TC. I'd love to see some of this frolicking. I've never uploaded a movie to blogger, but I'm tempted to try.

Cathy said...

Ok. Had to leave one more comment just to let you know that the word verification is now 'peent'!

Are you still hearing woodcocks?

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

Sorry I didn't get to see that.... too funny....

threecollie said...

Linda, it was a nice light moment in an otherwise challenging day. Poor Kash didn't think much of it though

Rev. Paul, I love to see them get after the chickens too. They look so silly.

Akagaga, cats hate to be embarrassed, don't they? lol

Cathy, wish there was a way to always have the camera handy when the good stuff happens. I have uploaded videos but I like either the MySpace uploader or YouTube better than the Blogger videos. You can see so much more in the larger format

Cathy, that is incredible! I think he was out there last night but it was so darned noisy I couldn't be sure.

Jessika said...

Oh yes! I've had the same scenarios, heifers where they don't belong--keeping the local barn cats on their toes! I do love it when they run with their tails straight up....can't quite do it once they get a good udder!

threecollie said...

Jessika, they are great entertainment when they get going. I love to watch them! lol