(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Monday

Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday

They are talking rain....no monsoons please. We could use just about five drops to get the hay growing...

All day Saturday helicopters flew over and hovered nearby. I was home alone with Beck as everyone else was at the auction. I thought it was early for pot hunts, but maybe that was what it was....or they were trapping speeders on the Thruway. I wondered at the pontoons on one of them.
The truth was much sadder. A poor man lost his life in the river.

That darned river is more like an industrial-strength-type river than something friendly and comforting. I have fished from shore a few times, but it is just too strong and scary for me. If you throw a lure in it races away down stream like it was towed by a barge. I have nightmares about it....I really do, several times a year......It is beautiful too though, like a shining mirror glowing up through the new leaves on the cottonwoods, early in the morning when I look out from the office. I don't much like to get close to it though......and I am so sorry for the family and friends of the poor man.

8 comments:

Jinglebob said...

That is so sad.

Rebecca said...

Tragic. :( The Mohawk River... *shudder*

Cathy said...

A nephew survived. Think what his life will be - the haunting memories.

I too, have had a recurrent dream about water. A spillway above which I was made to climb as a kid.

Fewer of them now-a-days.

What is it about moving water . . I guess the power vs our flapping vulnerability.

Linda said...

Any river has to be respected but it's just sad when someone loses their life in one. So much power...

threecollie said...

JB, it is. I feel real bad for everyone involved

Rebecca, exactly. It has given me bad dreams since we moved down next to it.

Cathy, you are right about that...so sad. Funny, that is pretty much the form my dream takes too...trying to climb along water-slicked concrete as it begins to flood. I don't dream it as much since we moved up here on the hill. We used to live right down next to it.

Linda, that is so true. And it is so powerful. We have seen whole gigantic elms and cottonwoods tossed around on it like chips when it is flooding and flowing hard.

CTG Ponies said...

Very sad and tragic.

DayPhoto said...

How sad. Water is rather powerful and so many people forget that.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

threecollie said...

CTG, it is just haunting me...I can see the river first thing at dawn from my office...just this time of year, before the cottonwoods leaf out. I always liked to see it reflecting back the colors of the rising sun. Now all I can think of is last Saturday...

Linda, I feel so bad for the family...