(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Fun with National Grid and the Tree Crew

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Fun with National Grid and the Tree Crew

One of our favorite bloggers had a go round with the tree cuttin', line clearnin' fellas just a little while back. They are much noted for their enthusiasm and lack of common sense and respect for property and they did not do right by her.

Over the years we have had plenty of fun with them too and wouldn't you know it, they got us again this year. We have power lines across the front (and the back and the middle) of the place. The one line runs along the edge of our front pasture fence and our maple woods. The boss was out fixing up the fence yesterday so we can turn cows in there, and lo and behold, the fence was cut, the wires pulled back, brush was piled all over the fence, and a little ravine with a small "sometimes" creek in the bottom was so piled with cut brush that he couldn't walk in it.

So he called 'em up and they called back and left a message and so began what I know from past experience won't amount to anything but aggravation. When they moved the road they took out dozens of good trees and just took them away. When we complained they brought us back some junk wood....oh heck, I could go on and on. Nothing will come of this except that he will move the darned brush himself and fix the fence and next year they will do it all again....bah



8 comments:

Dani said...

Grrr... what a bunch of you know whats!!

June said...

They CUT YOUR FENCE????
How that isn't vandalism is beyond me.

Jinglebob said...

Sonsabitches!

DayPhoto said...

Since we have no trees to speak of, what we have here is the ditch company....grrrr.

They bring in their GIANT backhoe and small one would work fine, dig up the canal (it is so deep now a cow could drown) and dump the spoils on the fence, the road, the ditchbank, the lawn, you name it. Then they drive through the place, usually breaking something, this year is was the panels on the pig pen, other years the corral.

We complain, nothing ever happes, they have the right of way. BUT they don't have the right to destroy property. I told Terry I was going to take photos and pay to have an ad put in the local paper, but he told me to cool down.

Still it's upsetting.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

I've found that the key to dealing with them is to catch them before they do their damage.

A few years ago I happened to see the boss types out by my trees with their clipboards. I raced out like a maniac, and they must have thought I was one, because they were very polite. Deferential, even. We discussed just which branches needed to come off to protect their lines. I vetoed some of their choices, and would you believe it, when the actual cutting crew showed up, they only took down the ones I had agreed to.

When the town boys come through in February 'cause they're bored, however, that's another story.

threecollie said...

Dani, they are so aggravating!

June, not for the first time. I am going to go poking through the old computers and see if I can find the old Farm Side I wrote about being out on a cliff in the dark with a cow...let out by the power company cutting the fence...a very eager border collie...in the dark. It was exciting. Then the state trooper who was lighting my way with his spotlight turned it off and left.

JB, my thoughts exactly. I guess I should be glad they cut it before the boss fixed it and turned the cows out there

Linda, I don't blame you a bit. Sometimes you have to do what it takes. We don't have irrigation but we have had the state put a ditch right across the bottom of our driveway. It was deep enough to swallow a car. I did take pics, which we sent to the powers that be and they fixed it.....eventually


aka, glad you got them to do it the way you wanted it. I guess some of them will, but some of them are terrible.

Rebecca said...

"Noted for their enthusiasm"?!?! BWAHAHAHA!!!! That's the euphemism of the year, TC!! LOLOLOL!!!!

I didn't know you guys have National Grid out that way. I guess I shoulda known by the looks of your mangled trees... you can always tell that the power company has been by...

threecollie said...

REbecca, You got that right. They are not arborists they are tree butchers.