(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: How Loud was that Commercial Anyhow?

Friday, June 11, 2010

How Loud was that Commercial Anyhow?




Did it wake you up from the best rest you will get today? Happens to me all the time.....However, they are finally thinking about legislating against the way television stations crank up the volume whenever they are hoping to sell something...not unlike a kid with sixteen speakers in the back of his car pulling up next to you at a red light and blasting rap that rattles your windows.

I don't actually watch TV, being more of a reader sort of person, but I live with people who do. I am not sure we need to have the Senate spending their time regulating something as trivial as this....after all, we all need our heart jump started now and then, and they do put a mute button on those TV remotes..... but I wouldn't miss the way the volume on the idiot box jumps from 4 or 5 to 12 or 20 a hundred times an evening. (I wonder if we could get a mute button for the Senate.)

There is also action on stopping damnfoolidiots from texting while driving. My mind boggles at the thought that anybody anywhere thinks themselves skilled enough to multitask that way....to look down at a number pad while howling down the highway among hundreds of other folks, many of who are up to the same silliness. Of course enforcing it might present an interesting conundrum. And of course this is a state issue rather than federal, (they are setting up a program for states but it is still the federal fingers in the state pie)and folks should be smart enough not to need a law, federal or otherwise, to prevent them from doing it, but I am glad someone noticed the problem anyhow.

8 comments:

Dani said...

The volume on the tv drives me insane!! I'm always yellin' at Elizabeth to turn the damn thing down.

lisa said...

I like a few shows but in reality, I would love to get rid of the thing! but sometimes that is the only way I keep up with the news!

Andy said...

The things I miss not owning a television... Not really. Actually I always find when I do watch TV at other people's houses, things are trippy and look different in the commercials then I've come to see them in the real world.

Linda said...

I detest loud commercials! Good thing I don't watch it all that much. I hate seeing people with their nose buried in a book, applying make-up or texting while driving...heck I can't even talk to the person next to me half the time.

Ericka said...

according to my dad, they used to regulate the volume on commercials but stopped. much as they apparently used to regulate how darn bright your headlights are and where they're aimed, quite unlike today.

*sigh* it'd be good if people weren't stupid, because i'm very against laws to protect people from themselves. of course, stupid is our primary predator, and we could use way fewer people too.

threecollie said...

Dani, same here. I have a pair of Peltor ear muffs I wear so I can read in the same room or write in the next room.

Lisa, yeah, we didn't have it when the kids were small. I didn't miss it but the boss likes it.

Andy, I hate the thing, but I deal. No real choice in the matter. Of course I waste huge amounts of time on here. lol

Linda, the road has become a terrifying thing these days. Lots of people in cars...very few of them actually driving.

Ericka, you are right of course and legislating idiocy, in the long run is futile. Here in NY it is illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving, never mind texting. Yet if you sit at a stop light watching cars pass by more folks are on them than aren't.

DayPhoto said...

Sometimes I wish cell phones hadn't been invented. One of the men at my work was hit by a 24 year old man, who was texting. Broke his knee cap and other stuff. The other guy (with the phone) kept saying something about gosh I don't know how that could happen.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

threecollie said...

Linda, that whole issue drives me crazy. People are DYING because other people are too selfish to shut their phones off for a few minutes. It really makes me angry.