(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Polydesmid Millipede (or at least I think so)

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Polydesmid Millipede (or at least I think so)




Becky spotted this critter on the bridge by the barn this morning. Never seen such a thing before but I guess they aren't terribly uncommon. It was about the size of my pinky finger and kinda gave me the shivers. Here is a bit of information on it and its ilk.




8 comments:

DayPhoto said...

We have nasty things like that around here... ick!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Cathy said...

Pretty cool. And creepy -cyanide?!

Did you feel the earthquake?

The reports said from Buffalo to Albany that pets and people sensed it.

Wow.

lisa said...

Wow, the color is fantastic!

Jeffro said...

Too close to a centipede for me - brrrr!

Ericka said...

neat! i think all of its little yellow feet are cute.

threecollie said...

Linda, this is a first for me. We have the little bitty foul ones, but this big thing is new

Cathy, isn't that nasty? We have billions of little ones too, but this one was simply amazing. Very lovely in a creepy crawly way. We did not notice the earthquake at all. Odd because I usually feel even the tiniest one...just too busy I guess.

Lisa, amazing isn't it? I wouldn't have seen it but Becky spotted it

Jeffro, it kinda creeped me out. Becky caught it in the dog food scoop and brought it over for posterity.

Ericka, that is one small positive about the rain. We are seeing creatures that we have never seen or imagined before. I have spent my whole life poking around in the woods and fields and never saw one of these before.

CTG Ponies said...

We have those too and they give me the creeps.

threecollie said...

CTG, it is something we had never seen before and I was astonished by it. What an amazing creature....that being said, I don't need to see another one any time soon. lol