(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The Roof is Done

Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Roof is Done


Which means a lot to me. A couple of years ago we lost a couple of sheets of roofing steel. Couldn't seem to find any contractors that wanted to bother with it and the boss can't climb so...we just lived with the leak. then a severe storm early this year peeled off a good third of one section. The leak became an indoor water park, so much fun in a rainy season like this one. Once again we called contractor after contractor to no avail. Most of them promised and promised and promised, but were simply too busy to be bothered to actually show up.

Then the boss called a few Amishmen, got estimates, and within less than two weeks the job was done. I wish you could have seen them work. They were like squirrels. Really fast moving squirrels. Where I suspect "English" contractors would have erected scaffolding on the main barn where the damage was...very high in the air btw...the Amishmen put a ladder up by the milk house and scurried over the lower roofs until they reached the junction with the big roof and went up that way. I could not stand to watch them. They sauntered around on that high roof like it was the barn floor, no hands, no ladder, no nothing.

I would never have believed the job could be done in a day, but they arrived around seven in the morning and by four in the afternoon the tools were packed away and the new steel was shining in the late afternoon sun.
It was awesome.
They used lumber we had stacked in the heifer barn against just such a repair and had to tear the stacked pile apart to get boards long enough to fit their needs. When they finished, despite the boss telling them not to bother, they re-stacked the whole pile...for which we are grateful.

Hopefully the new roof won't leak (although we certainly don't need any more rain to be testing it) and it will stand up to the ferocious winds we seem to get every few weeks now. Time will tell.

I had to laugh this morning when I came down the stairs. I always pause on the landing to see what it is up out in the yard. This morning Mr. and Mrs. robin were lounging around under the big blue spruce. For the past few weeks their single young one has been following them around like a fat, speckled beggar, importuning them for food all day long. Apparently he finally went out on his own and they were loving it. The male was lying on his side in the driveway, for all the world like a barn yard chicken at its leisure. The female was popping around self-importantly, chasing English sparrows away from him. It was hilarious and I wish I could have watched all morning. Alas the cat was howling for his breakfast and if I don't get the old dog out promptly in the morning she makes me wish I had.....

Have a great day!

11 comments:

Dani said...

I'm so happy for y'all!

R.Powers said...

Great news! Those Amish should visit the Lowes store down here. The other day after a rain, they had buckets strung all over the store trying to catch drips.

Mappy said...

WOW way cool. nice to have things done in a timly manner. About time ypu have some good come your way.
Love ya
Mappy

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Amazing - it's funny that no one wants the job since the economy is bad. Bossman is one smart fellow contacting these gents.

I don't wish you any more rain and wind to test your new roof, but it can quit raining here anytime as far as I am concerned.

Congrats on the new roof!

commoncents said...

Interesting.... keep up the great work!!

Steve
Common Cents
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

ps. Link Exchange???

Linda said...

You have to really appreciate good work ethics like that!

NumberWise said...

I'm so glad you got it done. In addition to the speedy work, I hope the quality of the Amish work lives up to its reputation.

I love the story about the robins!

June said...

What a great relief to have that DONE, huh? And what a pleasure to have it done quickly, efficiently, and then cleaned up too! [Sigh of satisfaction on your behalf]

Funny story about the robins. I don't believe I have ever seen a robin lounging in that manner!

threecollie said...

Dani, thanks, we are really glad too

FC, same thing up here with many of the big box stores. Those flat roofs have issues I guess

Matt, thanks kiddo, love you too

Nita, thanks, we couldn't believe we couldn't get men to come in, but I guess they have all the work they want...or they didn't want to go up on that high roof

STeve, thanks

Linda, you do indeed

NW, we are hoping. We will see when the big winds hit again as no doubt they will

June, we sure are glad it is done.As to the robins, I have never seen anything like it...a private moment in the lives of birds I guess. I was really chuckling at them. They are back to nesting for a second brood on the front porch now

DayPhoto said...

It really is good that there are people (like us) that believe in hard productive work!

Good for you and your new roof!!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

threecollie said...

Linda, I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for that roof!