(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Weather is Everything

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Weather is Everything

Well, not really everything, but it really matters at planting and harvest time. If it rains you cannot reasonably plant anything or make hay. We are actually done planting except a little bit of the garden that I can't seem to find time for, but we have just begun to make hay...continuing with that will just have to wait for dry, sunny days, even if we switch over to chopping instead of baling.

Just in case, the guys are getting the bagger set up. They will probably chop everything that is already mowed....hardly worth baling it, but we will see. They have a lot of hay mowed right now, getting rained on every day and losing nutrients as it does. They will put it up anyhow one way or the other. You can balance out lesser quality hay by changing the grain ration or you can feed it to dry cows or heifers who need less in the way of high-quality forages.

Meanwhile, we have a steel man here picking up old machinery to sell it. We get part of the money and he gets the rest for gathering, cutting and hauling. Amishmen are giving us estimates on fixing the bad roof. They seem like nice fellows, very brisk and businesslike.

The birds in many cases are on their second broods. The phoebes are calling up a storm again and I am finally seeing a few wrens. I learned a new bird call from my iPod...put my bird call CD on there along with my music and have been listening to a random play list. That means the birds pop up between the likes of Jason Aldean and the Roosters.

The other day I heard a bird on there and thought, wow, I think I hear those all the time. A little research and sure enough, we are plumb surrounded by indigo buntings. Now that I know the call, I have been looking for them and there they were...where they had been all the time, singing to me even from the power line in front of the house and from all over the fields around the house.

The phoebes and the willow flycatchers come right to the living room windows to snatch wasps. It is so cool to sit right there in my chair and bird watch. I let a couple of sumacs grow up against one window and they form a perfect little canopy to shelter them as they hunt for stinging insects. The boss offered to cut them down (not knowing about my free entertainment) but I respectfully declined. I will get rid of them this winter when the fly catchers are gone. Meanwhile, I am working on learning the empidonax fly catchers by their calls. I am pretty near sure ours is a willow, but there is always the potential to mix them up with the alder.

Well, chore time beckons. It will be nice to get the darned roof repaired. Indoor rain showers leave something to be desired....like a way to milk cows while carrying an umbrella.

5 comments:

DayPhoto said...

UGH!!!! Rain on the hay..that is horrible. I wish I could send you our hot, dry, windy weather. The wind would not be too good as then you have no dew, but at least the hay would be dry.

Umberella milking cows ...?.. that would be HARD! LOL

Linda

http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Linda said...

Our birds are on their sescond round in some cases but it's more weather related cause they lost the first round. I'd respectfully decline the interruption of my entertainment too.

Cathy said...

Oh man! You've got phoebes and flycatchers up close - next to the window?!

Oh man. Paradise.

I struggle with those flycatcher calls. I think The Least is the only one I can ID with any certainty.

And then you've got those bobolinks. {Sigh} :-)

(Glad the boss honors your wishes about those sumac . . . I've got to keep a close eye on my boss when it comes to pruning)

The Milk Maid said...

Good luck on doing your hay, I hope you end up with a good season. We just got one field done and wrapped and then the rain came for us. Hope we can get back at it soon. It does help wrapping it because then we don't need all that drying time. Hope your roof gets done soon but there are those hats that are an umbrella(lol). Best of luck!

threecollie said...

Linda, How I hate it when the monsoons move in. Once it gets started in a rain pattern here it doesn't quit until fall or so it seems lately. they are gearing up for chopping today, although they may be able to make a few bales tonight

Linda P sad to hear about your birds. That late snow must have been hell on them. For us this has been one of the best bird years I have seen in so very long. We are simply surrounded by cool ones!

Cathy, I am working on them, but they are so very hard. They don't sound the same on the CD as they do in the field...although it surely helps to listen to it. I was so excited to learn the indigo bunting call though. I know it is a pretty basic call, but I just didn't know it until now.

TMM, thanks for the kind words. Someday we might go to wrapping..it does give you a lot more leeway. For now we either bag it or bale it. My son and I want to do a lot of baled hay this year because there is so much less waste. The boss likes the bagger because it is easier. However, I like the baled hay because the girls and I can feed the cows if need be. The men are so tied down when they always have to be here for every single feeding.