(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Seems Like Only Yesterday

Friday, September 10, 2010

Seems Like Only Yesterday




That the sun was coming up near the neighbor's spruce tree. Now it rises way to the south and is usually a sadly pale version of its summer fiery self. Unless we get some pretty unlikely weather we are done baling for the year. Days are too short and dew is too heavy for the hay to dry so it is back to chopping for the ag bags

At the Farm Bureau meeting last night our Cooperative Extension rep was telling folks to be checking their corn for maturity. As in the past couple of years a lot of it is way ahead of the norm. Since we didn't plant any this summer it won't be an issue for us.


The birds are sure making themselves scarce. A few passing killdeers, a lot of starlings and the odd chickadee or two are about it except for blue jays. Those gorgeous blue devils have found the giant sun flowers and are denuding them apace. I hope they scatter a few seeds like they did last year so I have some volunteers next year. This year's monsters were volunteers and they are the biggest I have ever grown. I really should cut one down and just save a few seeds, but the task daunts me. They are that big.

Well, off to the salt mines...have a good one.





6 comments:

Dani said...

I saw my first hummingbird last weekend! Hoping for some more as migration heats up.

lisa said...

I really am hating the shorter days already! Next week doesn't look all that great either! I hope you got enough hay in for the winter!

Linda said...

Lots of signs of fall here too and most of the birds have made vacation plans and headed south.

DayPhoto said...

We have lost all our summer birds, but the winter ones are coming back. I love to see them as they brighten the long days of winter, but summer birds are even brighter.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Cathy said...

"a sadly pale version of its summer fiery self"

Hubby and I agree . . makes us a little sad to see the sun becoming paler...

I just remind myself that the seasons will keep turning and spring will return . .

(lovely pix)

threecollie said...

Dani, I am so glad they made it. Haven't seen ours in a few days, but I still have the feeder out. Maybe they will stop at your house!

Lisa, I love the light and am not one bit fond of the dark. So this is not my favorite time of year.

Linda, it changed so fast! I am having trouble getting used to it.

Linda, summer is such a joy for me bird wise...new calls to learn, new behaviors to watch. Winter is the time of old friends, well-known birds like the chickadees and titmice. I love all the birds, but I will sure miss summer.

Cathy, thanks...for some reason during any given season I can't seem to comprehend any other season. Thus in winter, summer is like a distant dream half remembered upon coming awake. I know that it happened and will happen again, but I can't touch it or feel it or quite believe in it. Fortunately it works both ways so in summer I completely forget winter. I do believe I was meant to be a bear and hibernate the cold months away.