(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: There are Things Every Farm Kid Learns

Friday, September 10, 2010

There are Things Every Farm Kid Learns

Like you really can't carry an egg in your pocket. Even your shirt pocket. Even if you go right straight to the house. Go ahead, try it. I have.

An egg in your pocket that doesn't make it to the house has truly nasty side effects. Really.

I found a nice egg this morning hidden in the neatest little cubby among the straw bales that Liz had left from the fair. A little rectangular tunnel back between the bales, just a comfy size for a chicken, dark, and nicely padded. I could just see how very tempting it must be for a hen to snuggle down in there for her daily confinement.

In fact the crook leg hen was in there when I went to get a couple slabs of straw to bed Nick's dog house up for the cooler nights. She clucked at me in irritation, I grabbed the fat white egg that was sitting there...and stuck it in my shirt pocket.

I tended to making Nick's bed without mishap, other than that Nick wanted to be in the dog house when I wanted to stuff it with straw.....then I went to the stove to chuck in some of the nine thousand pound blocks of oak that the boss provided me for heating water. I am sure you are guessing what happened next.

But no, I have been, more times than I care to admit, that farm person will the ill-fated egg in the pocket. One time it was five eggs, but I won't bore you with the details of that debacle.

I set the egg carefully in the grass, filled the stove, and grateful for years of experience with the perils of egg production, sauntered in for breakfast.....with no egg, either on my face or in my pocket.


6 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Good on you for not smushing the egg in your pocket ... but did you remember to pick it up from the grass & take it inside with you? Or did you - like me - step on it while shifting the firewood?

lisa said...

Oh, boy, have we been there! I can't remember how many times the kids and i have done that one!

DayPhoto said...

I remember gathering eggs as a child and sticking the eggs in my pants pocket and running to the house. It was a lesson I NEVER forgot!

Thanks for the chuckle!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I'll bet Nick's happy; fresh bed and an egg for breakfast. - Bill

Cathy said...

OK. This is one of the sweetest, funniest pieces yet.

Erma Bombeck hasn't got a thing on you, TC.

You really need to get these essays in book form.

Honestly. There is a continent of people that would enjoy this folksy reportage of a world we'll never get close to.

And it's a good world.

threecollie said...

Rev. Paul, I kept thinking as I worked, be careful of the egg....be careful off the egg. Lol, I didn't step on it, but I got a great laugh out of you doing so!

Lisa, I hate to admit how many times I have done it...go outside with a laundry list of chores, find an egg, tuck it away, forget it while I do something else...oops! lol

Linda, it does tend to "stick" with you. lol

Steve, thanks!

Bill, lol, that little stinker prefers his eggs still in the hen...and the fool birds love to go into his six-foot high kennel to oblige him.

Cathy, you are so kind to me and I thank you. It means a lot to me that you and Keith like what I write...makes it all a lot more fun.