(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Halloween Sky

Saturday, October 09, 2010

Halloween Sky

Not the Halloween sky, just a cool sunset from the other day.

Shortly after the day started
the horizon turned an eerie yellow with clouds like purple bruises looming down from above and lacing their fingers through it. Like skeletons sifting through thrown out pumpkin pie......It was spooky and not pretty and set the stage for the where-did-the-cat food-go-puzzle we are now pondering.

We lost our Elvis cat week before last in a tragic accident. He had a big personality, a lot more than cat-sized and we miss him very badly. Within a short time I found that I really needed to fill the hollow he left. It was a huge cat-shaped void that echoed at feeding time and had me seeing cats under all the furniture and all around my feet. It made my chest hurt from him not being there....such a big empty place right in the center. I had to put a real cat into that place before I lost it...I was really depressed.

I woke up a few days after Elvis left us with the decision made in my mind to adopt a cast-off cat rather than begin again with a kitten. Figured I would tap the Want Ad Digest for the cat of someone moving or entering a nursing home or some similar circumstance.


By the time I had been awake for two hours I had heard of one.
Simon was a mill cat who took up pulling warp off the looms. He was facing urgent relocation in a pound-ward direction if he didn't find a new home. (Thank you Matt and Lisa) Alan brought him home that night.

Simon is a big guy. Twenty pounds worth. So far he has been a pretty good boy, but when I am not inside and able to keep an eye on him he stays in a dog kennel....that whole clawing thing you know.

Thus last night he was in the kennel when I went to bed (he doesn't seem to mind, being a very sedentary sort of fellow).

Meanwhile, Gael is fading fast. We brought her in from her bed on the porch at supper time last night to give her a can of cat food and her antibiotic. I gave her the pill but I didn't see her eat anything. Liz put her back to bed before she left last night.

This morning (under that spooky Halloween sky) that dish was empty and licked clean. Gael was still on the porch. Simon was still in his crate.

And I am still wondering. No other food was touched. There is butter and bread on the counter. Steak bones from dinner waiting to go to the other dogs near the sink. What the heck ate that cat food??????? I really hope it was Gael before she went out....or maybe somebody had Simon out after I went to bed......otherwise.....


Simon

9 comments:

~ Sara ~ said...

Sorry to hear about Elvis... it's amazing how these cats do get under ones skin. And I'm not a cat person! I just save kittens... :)

Simon is such a pretty fellow though... I just love big ole fat cats...

Jan said...

Maybe Elvis has another life to...

No that can't be it.

Linda said...

So sorry to hear about Elvis........he was one of my favorite cyber cats. Simon is a pretty good looking boy though.

NumberWise said...

You have seen the Simon's Cat videos - right?

threecollie said...

Sara, thank you. I am not much of a cat person either, being more fond of dogs, but he was a once in a lifetime critter

Jan, anything is possible....

Linda, thanks, he was pretty special. Simon is a nice enough guy though too

NW, I haven't.....

Dani said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Elvis...glad though that you were able to give Simon a home. Sad to think so many of the older ones are put down cause their harder to rehome.

Paul said...

That's quite a sky description! Very poetic, yet erie. Sorry to hear about Elvis.

threecollie said...

Dani, thanks, we miss him. At least Simon is something to take care of to keep my mind off him.

Paul thanks, we miss him....the sky was crazy spooky and I was too lazy to tinker with the settings on the camera to get a pic so...

DayPhoto said...

I'm so sorry about Elvis! Like you I am an animal lover and need animals around me all the time. I am also sad about your elderly dog..gosh to lose our furry friends is just horrible.

Still all in all you do have a lovey new Simon and he is beautiful! I hope he works out perfectly!

Linda

http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com