(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Happy Birthday, Mac

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mac


Wow, it is the 200th birthday of one of America's favorite apples, and NY's number one variety, the McIntosh. Do read the article if you have time. It is really interesting.

(When I asked the men of how old they thought Macs were Alan answered that they came out in 83. Huh? But he thought I meant the computer. Talk about a generation gap.)

5 comments:

R.Powers said...

It's my Dad's birthday today.
Coinkydinkaly, he's 83.

lisa said...

Yes, the good old generation gap! That is neat to know about the MAC.

Cathy said...

I'm headed toward the kitchen. I've GOT to have an apple after reading those juicy adjectives. So glad I stopped at an apple stand yesterday.

Caroline said...

Macs are one of the things we miss most in the fall...we grew up in the middle of the Lake Champlain/Clinton County orchards.
Hope some show up in the store here, sometimes we are lucky.

threecollie said...

FC, hope he had a wonderful birthday!

Lisa, I was shocked to hear how long these apples have been around and how they were discovered. They have bred new types of Mac but they are still pretty much the same apple as ever. Wow

Cathy, one of the best things about fall for me is a bag of apples in the kitchen. So versatile. So good no matter what you do with them.

Caroline, sorry you are missing them. I wonder why some enterprising shipper doesn't find a way to get good apples to the many apple-deficient markets that seem to exist. Whenever I post about them I discover more folks who can't get good ones. They ship well. They keep well. Why aren't they moving where they are wanted? I wonder....