(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Like Fire

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Like Fire

The sun came up like fire today...I don't mean just red. I mean red like the heart of a dark blood orange. I mean trailing twisted veils of cloud like fingers of smoke reaching far across the sky. There were sirens.....


Always sirens. Seems as if our hearts know the call of every firehouse for miles around now. Maybe they are just pumping cellars...lots of cellars to pump these days. But the bridge went down in Rotterdam yesterday. And the power was out last night. I take the phone upstairs nights now...never know who might call or why. So I flipped it open, checked the time, and reset the clock there in the dark.


This is the river yesterday. Don't know about you, but I am getting tired of ropes of thick, brown water. Liz finally made it home...hadn't been here since the day before yesterday because the county was in a state of emergency and every single road was either under water or under rock and mud slides. The boss went up on the TOP of the heifer pasture hill to bring down cows yesterday and was sinking almost to his knees on the grass, on the highest part. Just nuts. Can't put a tire in a field. Harvest is halted halfway through and may never start again. Winter is too close by far for my taste.

I take a little heart though, here and there. Although there are few birds left around, a spotted sandpiper has moved in and hunts under the manure shed and on the bridge between the house and barn. It is loud and lovely and so exotic (not that we don't see them around but this one comes so close.) A great blue heron pulses ponderously by. A phoebe flicks its tail and cheeps at me from very near; must be one of the babies from the trees by the bridge, because it shows no fear..... (between the sandpiper and him there was a lot of tail flicking going on that day).

They are worth a smile among the grim I guess.

7 comments:

~ Sara ~ said...

At least you were able to see the sun rise... Here its over cast and trying to sprinkle. Danged moisture that is falling out of the clouds... ENOUGH already!

R.Powers said...

Whoa,that is one full river.
Hope things drain and dry out some up there!

lisa said...

The sunrise sure was beautiful this morning, I agree! I still have fun trying to find my back way into school and you were right they were still closed and when I came home they still hadn't opened up yet. Matt, did make it home on the thruway.

Terry and Linda said...

What an amazing sunrise...red sun rise in the morning saliors take warning....? Hope no more bad is coming your way. Enough is enough. Love your kitties. Nothing cuter, except maybe puppies!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Cathy said...

What a perfect, beautiful, touching post.

Girl. You've got talent . . . and a heart to match.

Hang in there. We're all pulling for better days.

Pat M said...

Your photos and your words are awesome! I could read on forever! If all I could hear was your words, I could see the picture in my mind's eye. I'll be back! Thank you! Growing Old With Grace http://growing-old-with-grace.blogspot.com/

threecollie said...

Sara, yes, we got a couple of sunny days this week and were grateful. Are you still in NY? Did the flooding affect you?

FC, thanks...now we have electrical towers falling into the river cutting power and raising general hell. What next I wonder


Lisa, it was pumpkin orange when I got up, but changed before I got done with the dog and cats. Hope you have a great time with school. Sounds like fun to me.

Linda, thanks, the kids sure love to fool with them.

Cathy, thank you. Life sure has changed...

Grace, thank you! Thanks for visiting and for taking time to comment.