(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Creepy

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Creepy

Simon, the unlikely, elderly, best hunter on the farm

Fog this morning. Couldn't see more than the vaguest outline of the heifer barn, which is right next to the house. I worry with the crew out on the roads so early; Alan off to milk a lot of cows somewhere else and Liz on the way here to milk ours.

Last night bringing the cows in by moonlight was an interesting experience. It is lovely out there in the moonglow. Even the mud turns all silver and shines. However, dear little Rosie, the milking shorthorn heifer, has turned into a lunatic, who charges anyone she sees.

Oddly her roan and white coloring blends in with the darkness much better than the stark black and white of the Holsteins so watching for her is problematic.

You kind of have to rely on the sound of hurried hoof steps in the mud to tell you when this juggernaut of naughty (and dangerous) bovine is coming at you.

However, in the dark the sounds of the cows walking echo off the horse trailer and the corn crib and the heifer barn. Sloppy, soupy, mud-song-surround sound.

I was kind of nervous about it when I got left behind, being fence while waiting for the last few cows. Everyone else went in to let cows in.

Then the last few cows surprised me as I was shutting the big gates...old lady with a broken foot, deep, sticky mud, big, heavy red gate that has to be dragged...I wasn't moving very fast.

From right behind me I heard a soft moo. Oops, the cows weren't all down yet. (Even with a good flashlight it is really hard to see them). There was Mandy...and the two Jersey heifers...and Rosie.

Who took one look at me and ran like heck...to get away from me.

Hmmmm......

6 comments:

lisa said...

Nice to see Simon! I would of been saying the same thing, hmmmm.

Terry and Linda said...

UGH! Naughty girls! Of course they don't mind, unless they want too!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Linda said...

I love foggy mornings.......even creepy, spooky ones. They're just......ethereal! I do worry about having to drive in the stuff though.

threecollie said...

Lisa, he is quite a cat!

Linda, she is settling down a bit, but I still don't trust her much

Linda, it was beautiful...Lisa got some lovely pics. Hate to drive in it though. Liz almost hit an Amish buggy parked in the middle of the road at the bottom of the barn drive...no lights.

Cathy said...

How. do . you . do . it ?

This is the best short story I've read in a long time.

Had all the elements. Hair-raising with a smile and a question at the end.

And this!

" It is lovely out there in the moonglow. Even the mud turns all silver and shines . ."

How. do. you. do. it?

:)

threecollie said...

Cathy, you folks are so kind. thank you. I spend a lot of time doing very routine and boring things outdoors...the words come to pass the time.