(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The Bluebird

Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Bluebird



I was worrying yesterday on several fronts, family illness, frozen stuff, stuff that is going to freeze if that stove doesn't hurry back from Wisconsin, and just in general because it is my nature. I am a gloomy cuss especially in winter. 


Went into the parlor, which is where I dry my laundry on laundry bars....a slow process without the furnace.


I was dismayed to see that some geraniums I started from seed last spring are pretty frost bitten around the edges. Was debating whether to move them out into the living room or just let them go and start new next spring. 


Suddenly there was a bright flash outside the window.


The mockingbird.


 Mobbing somebody who dared trespass on his hallowed territory, which takes in the long lawn, the entire driveway, the field below the driveway, the other side of the house and pretty near any place he feels like being a tough guy.


 I paused to watch and there it was...a lovely bluebird perched in the little poplar by the driveway. It hunkered down a bit under the mocker's onslaught, but you could tell it wasn't daunted by all the flare and flash. My heart flew with it as it pumped its wings on down to the sumacs.


That's my daddy's bluebird there. It came to tell me to be hopeful and prayerful and positive and that he is okay at least this time. Love you dad.





This morning I am dragging plants out of the parlor and putting them wherever I can find a spot. It may look kind of funny to folks who visit, but it is just too cold for them in the unheated parlor.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed it was a hopeful sign, we just need to be watchful for them. Good luck on the heat. Hope the new year brings you good things.linda

Jan said...

Keep finding joy where you can, dear blogging friend. The sun is heading back to us to warm the earth without our help. May 2012 bring deserved happiness to Northview.

lisa said...

Sure hope that stove arrives soon for you! Love the picture of the chickadee.

Terry and Linda said...

Hope the stove comes in soon! I, too, saw a bluebird yesterday...I agree they are a sign of hope!


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Linda said...

I do hope you get heat......SOON! Happy New Year!

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Best wishes and the stove for the New Year, and positive thoughts for your papa too.

Cathy said...

Marianne . .

"My heart flew with it . . ."

And mine with yours in prayer for your dear dad.

May you have peace and comfort in the new year. May your kindness and caring continue to bless those whose lives you touch.

And may your camera be ready at hand and your heart always ready to receive the wisdom and delight at Northveiw that you channel and direct towards us - your happy readers.

threecollie said...

Linda, thank you

Jan, it feels like spring here now, but we have an arctic cold front moving in. Thank you for your kind thoughts and good wishes to you for the coming year as well

Lisa, thanks, me too! Cannot wait to actually be warm!

Linda, isn't that the coolest thing? We have them around here now and then, but almost never near the house like that.

Linda, thank you!

Nita, thanks, best wishes for a great year for all of you as well.

Cathy, thank you for your kind words and especially for your prayers. I am praying and hoping too. Take care and Happy New Year to you and Keith and your family.