(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Mom

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Mom



I know I have written a lot about my dad's influence on the direction of my life...it has been great and significant and I love him for it. (BTW he is facing a serious health issue right now and your prayers would be much appreciated.)

However, I don't think I have ever said enough about my mom. Her influence was different. Rather than leading us to who we were going to be, she saw who we already were and supported us in our directions...helped us become who we needed to be.

Christmas was a big time for that. Mom always loved Christmas. I shudder to imagine how hard she had to look to find middle brother that first guitar...but he was and is and always will be a music guy and she helped him on his way there...didn't say too much...didn't take any bows for her cleverness, just did it.

And when we were small she worked at Sears. Thus, the natural sciences kid...that was me...got a microscope and dissecting kit one Christmas (along with life-sized ready to paint bird models...gold finch for me and barn swallow for brother I think.)

I can remember the kitchen table at the old house on 5S (another frigid farm house like this one where we learned all about cold too)with all that stuff spread out all over, probably making a huge mess that someone else (mom no doubt) had to clean up.

I can't remember which critter I dissected first...sloppy job, hadn't a clue...or what we peered at through that microscope...but they were part of a wide open door to today and meant a lot to me. And when it came time in college to dissect this and that I was the only girl in the class not bothered (of course working for a veterinarian from the time I was fifteen may have had something to do with that too.)

It was always thus. Mom did try a few dolls on me. Barbie mine rode Michael's race cars down the ramp in the garage. But mostly she got the whole horse thing and I had dozens of plastic ones to love.

I guess if dad was the rock star of our youth, then mom was the back up singer....and ever the rock...where we all were anchored. Love you mom and dad...hope everything turns out fine and happy.

14 comments:

Ed said...

My mom is the exactly the same..:-)

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

A wonderful tribute to a wonderful woman. BY a wonderful woman.

Shirley said...

Beautiful tribute to your mom. Prayers going up for your dad.

Rev. Paul said...

What Shirley said.

Jan said...

A rock star and a back up singer...no wonder you turned out so well.

Ericka said...

wonderful tribute.

my thoughts are with your family.

Jinglebob said...

Prayers from here. Sounds like she was a great example for you and your siblings.

threecollie said...

Ed, I can tell! She seems like such a lovely lady!

WW, thank you..I was just remembering...

Shirley, thank you so very much for that


Rev. Paul, thank you, that means a lot!

Ericka, thank you!

JB, thank you for your prayers., She is a terrific lady and I'm afraid we don't appreciate her enough.

Dani said...

Nodding my head to Jan's comment. ((hugs))

Terry and Linda said...

Your heartful post is wonderful! I hope I'm the same kind of Mom. I want more than anything for my kids to say I gave to them the right to be theirselves...whatever that is.

Prayers here for you Dad!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Cathy said...

OK. I'm going for the kleenex. Seriously.

Don't know what to say, except that this song of love and happy memories is falling on a particularly acute ear today.

My mother is recently hospitalized, and though these remarkable women - your mom and mine - are probably different in many ways . . . . they share the adoration of daughters who understand the sacrifice and love that brought us forward . .

Yes, Marianne . . this: " . . ..but they were part of a wide open door to today . . ."

Lovely. Lovely. Lovely.

Cathy said...

. . and yes, prayers for your wonderful dad . .all our wishes for comfort and health.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much dear daughter, for such a lovely tribute.
I will probably keep trying with the dolls.
Lots of love.
Mom and Dad

threecollie said...

Dani, thanks! You are such a great friend. Take care

Cathy,thanks...so sorry for the hard times you and your family are facing with your mom....hope things smooth out soon.

Mom, love you too. You are the best...and you never know...sometime you may find a doll that I like. lol