(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Sunday, no Stills...until maybe later

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sunday, no Stills...until maybe later



This is my morning....noon, night, in between.... starting fires and filling this thing, which Alan built, which is hooked up to the piping for the outdoor wood stove...which is in Wisconsin. I have to keep the piping from freezing so when it gets back from its tour of duty we can hook it back up and it wil work.


This morning it was really cold, so I started the day at 4:15 to turn on the little electric heaters and get this thing going. There were still a few coals left from last night and the water was running as it should be, but there was also snow on top of the barrel.


It took a long time to start the fire. Certain individuals are very stingy about cutting me kindling....and although I am a sort of harbor chick, I don't run the chain saw.


It is going now, hissing and banging, as the hickory is wet and takes a while to get warm enough to just burn...hopefully in an hour or so I can turn the furnace fan on for a little while and warm the place up a bit.


Sure was pretty out this morning though. It snowed between dog out time and me out time, so I made the very first tracks of the morning. No traffic so I could hear the businesslike chatter of the creek..not frozen yet.


Woke up a bird which chirped irritably at me before going back to sleep. I have an old pine pallet I am chipping up..not much left of it...for kindling. The scent of it was as strong as turpentine, but sweet too, as the newspapers singed its stubborn edges and teased it into ignition. It was kind of nice in an Amish pioneer sort of way.


I will try to get something for Sunday Stills when the sun comes up but no guarantees. Tried to get a pic of a random Santa waving by the road side yesterday, but traffic was just too busy.

9 comments:

R.Powers said...

Are you saying you are out of Pure Florida fatwood kindling?
Let me know.

NumberWise said...

I can't even imagine what you are going through without the furnaces. I was chilly this morning - and I've got central heating!

Anonymous said...

God is keeping a special place in Heaven for you daughter!
Liz & Jade brought us a nce fruit basket, and sat and visited for awhile. They wouldn't have coffee or soda. It was very nice to see them. Love you all so much.
Mom

Linda said...

To be honest I think a fire shot is perfect for Sunday Stills. Stay warm, I get that chilly feeling when there's talk of cold and snow......and no furnace working properly.

June said...

You are only the second person I have ever heard use that "harbor chick" phrase. Where'd that come from and where's it been all my life? The first time I heard it was in reference to myself, and I was oddly pleased. I've always wanted to be perceived as tough, although I don't much like having to keep up the reputation with all the hard work.
Good job with that fire, Woman.

Terry and Linda said...

Your fire is delightful...the furnace part sure needs to hurry back to you...winter is here and there and cold. 5* --we heat with wood and the house was very cold this morning. I can't imagine what you are going through.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Cathy said...

This time of year a bed of coals, all-out flame . . it's just so much more interesting in December than July.

Even a candle . . something really primitive.

This was poetry:)
"The scent of it was as strong as turpentine, but sweet too, as the newspapers singed its stubborn edges and teased it into ignition."

threecollie said...

FC, I am actually, but man, did I ever build a lot of good fires with it. I used it one stick...or half a stick..or a quarter of a stick at a time..and had good thoughts about PF every single time. Thank you again kind sir.

NW,I got the house up to over fifty, at least in the kitchen yesterday, by keeping after the stove all day. And I actually got it warm when I was indoors to enjoy it!

Mom, you are a dear and I love you, thanks.

LInda, I almost used it but I wasn't sure it really fit, and the only photo I took all week was one of the cat being stupid. lol

June, lol, it is from the second Ghost Busters movie, when they use the pink goo to make the Statue of Liberty walk into town. She is the harbor chick, so it is right to feel complemented. And thanks for your kind words.

Linda, it gets pretty nasty sometimes and I feel all whiny but we are coping with the little electric heaters and the strange little stove. I sure can't wait to get the big one back though.

Cathy, thanks! I do love the scents of the various woods as they burn. Maple and hickory are so very sweet and cherry is reminiscent of my dad's pipe when I was a kid. Of course elm and oak are not quite as pleasant. Pine kindling taking off is especially nice.

Cathy said...

Awwww . . . " . . . cherry is reminiscent of my dad's pipe . ."

Is he doing OK ?