(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Murphy Was Here

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Murphy Was Here

Our dairy supplier was due Thursday and didn't show. We were out of the powerful liquid cleaner we use for the pipeline and bulk tank. Not good...or wait, maybe it was....

You see, there are no substitutes, and the equipment must be cleaned and sanitized every time it is used, so we made a road trip up west to get a small jug to tide us over.

While we were at it we shopped.

I don't get out much. Kind of need to be here most of the time...so when I do, watch out.

People were looking at us funny in Price Chopper I can tell you, as we perused the ham and jam and spam and bought...well. a lot....

But the cupboards were pretty bare and now they are not so much and that is always a wonderful feeling. Plus I bought some goodies at the bakery outlet for the boy to take back south with him.....yeah...if that big bundle of blankets is any indication, he is home for a couple of days. He was out with that certain special and very sweet young lady so we didn't get to see him last night....

And, of course, while we were gone, the dairy supplier stopped....of course he did. So we won't run out of pipeline soap any time soon. I wonder if his name is Murphy.

But, it's all good...

9 comments:

Jinglebob said...

I thought you might find this interesting.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/a-farewell-to-barns-black-hills-dairy-industry-fading/article_cfe1a676-2858-11e1-bbb0-001871e3ce6c.html

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Your post today left me with a sweet snug feeling, that if we just paid attention, we could be happy with all that we have, like a full pantry and our loved ones near us.

Terry and Linda said...

A full pantry is always wonderful! Always!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Cathy said...

I love Woodwalker's comment.

I give it a big 'second'. :)

Just love the way you take the 'every day' make me wish I were along for the ride.

Cathy said...

. . . . ahem.

That would be : " . . . .Just love the way you take the 'every day' AND make me wish I were along for the ride."

June said...

Why'd they look at you funny? Were you buyin' out the store? :-p
And yes, what Woodswalker said....a full pantry is SUCH a comfy cozy secure feeling. I do shudder to think what the bill came to though. I was in WalMart today and could not bring myself to buy meat. The prices!!!!

Friko said...

I found your comment at June's so good I needed to come here. Now I'm off to rad your other blogs.
Is there somewhere I can follow?

Caroline said...

Jinglebob beat me to the punch on the RC Journal article, since that is the hometown paper here. Buy from the Neugebauers at the Farmer's Market in the summer.
My in-laws got out of the dairy business in Clinton County, for similar reasons, unfortunately.

threecollie said...

Thanks JB, that is becoming an all too common story around here. If it weren't for the Amish and weekenders the number of farms in the area would have crashed already. There sure are some pretty compelling numbers in that article! Thanks for sharing and I hope you don't mind if I link to it tomorrow.

WW, thanks! The older I get the less it takes to make me happy

Linda, sure is! If I have pasta, potatoes, tomato puree and spices we can have something to eat even if it isn't fancy.

Cathy, thanks! It keeps me kind of sane...ish....writing every day. Having folks to talk to is icing on the cake.

June, yeah, we kind of were and our cart was not full of Christmas presents. lol
I am afraid meat prices will probably stay high. Conditions have been terrible this year all over the country.

Friko, thanks! And welcome to Northview. If you would like to subscribe by email there is a blank in the sidebar where you can do so.

Caroline, it is just heartbreaking to read such stories and it seems to be going on everywhere. A few years ago here, most of the older small farmers sold out to the Amish, who split the farms up to house several families each. We are one of the very last hold outs of our generation and things aren't going all that great here either.