(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Canada Geese

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Canada Geese





In phenomenal numbers down on the Mohawk. We have been seeing them from the house, flocks that stretch from horizon to horizon, sailing by all day. It is quite a sight!




Yesterday I had to go out with Alan to take care of some bidness in town and got to see them resting on the river.






I took some videos, but they are pretty shaky, so it is going to take some editing before they don't make you seasick. However, for those of you familiar with the area, flocks like these stretched from well west of the river bridge to the former Poplars dock and more were cupping in all the time.





I don't think I have ever seen quite this many. Note the one lone stranger out there in the middle. There were a few mergs too, dipping and diving, but the geese certainly were the stars of the show.

6 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

I don't know if I'm more amazed by the number of geese in one spot, or by all that non-frozen water!

Shirley said...

We have a huge flock hanging out here too.

Cathy said...

" . .more were cupping in all the time."

I've never heard that expression and it's perfect!

What is that white bird in the middle?

PS: Love Rev. Paul's wistful exclamation.

Jeffro said...

I've gotta know what a "merg" is? Been driving me nuts trying to think of what it might be an abbreviation of!!!!

wv: slamst - as in Jeffro slamst his head on the desk in frustration!

threecollie said...

Rev. Paul, most of the big waters around here are still open for which I am grateful. That particular spot right in front of the Fultonville McDonalds is one of the last places to freeze even when it is cold though so it is a fantastic place to bird watch. Bald eagles, all kinds of gulls, ducks, geese etc. can be seen there almost all winter. Alas it is a terrible place for photography, with no sidewalk on the river side of the road (or space, just a guard rail and a steep bank) and a very busy highway.

Shirley, I have a love/hate relationship with them....in the winter, mostly love. lol

Cathy, I got it from Alan, don't know where he first heard it but I love it too! It is a snow goose. There is also a grey goose...don't know if it is an actual greylag goose or just a feral barnyard goose (almost undoubtedly the latter), but it lives with the Canadas and has a pair mate and everything. Very cool, but never where I can get a photo of it.

Jeffro, Common Merganser. lol I was too lazy to type it out. Sorry

Dani said...

So pretty, but it sure does look cold.