(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Redeux

Saturday, March 03, 2012

Redeux



Two calves born at the same time last night. Right at milking. Suffice to say that even with six people running around like beheaded chickens, it was just insane. 


Broadway started first. She always has huge calves for some reason. Even her first calf, Scotty, who is half Jersey, was a giant. This one was no exception and she would NOT settle and have it lying down. 


While we were watching her, Lakota started calving too. Both of them had really big calves and needed some help.


When Broadway's big, red baby finally slid out into the world the boss declared, "It's a bull."


I believed him. He's seen a calf or two in all his years of farming.


Liz is not quite so trusting and checked later. Nope, a heifer, by the Select Sire Power milking shorthorn bull, Poker. The new baby is a full sister to Rose Magnolia...and I will welcome names from you folks, who named her big sister for me.


Lakota, alas had a bull and not a real healthy one. A real shame as he is a beauty, sired by the ABS bull, Force. I am really hoping he makes it.


Anyhoo, by the time we got to the house after dealing with all the stuff new milkers need, plus milking, plus discovering that Licorice had a temp and needed some doctoring, and passing out extra good hay to all the fresh cows, it was late as heck. And of course the sick heifer I am taking care of in the green house decided that she was really, really thirsty, but must dump every single pail of water I lugged up from the house....I had to have Becky and the boss both help me take care of her.


French toast (Becky makes the best ever) sausage and bacon for dinner. Totally guilt free...I think we earned it.

14 comments:

joated said...

Yowsa! What an evening/night!

I've been rooting for your cows to deliver up some nice, healthy hiefers. Guess it hasn't been working, huh? Then again, I've been a Mets fan since 1962 and that hasn't always worked either.

Anonymous said...

Minion...
:P

Sandcastle Momma said...

That's a long night! Hope the bull makes it!!

Jan said...

I'm exhausted (and hungry) just reading about it.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Never a dull moment! Hope all the babies do well.

Linda said...

LOL we have comfort food like that after those kinds of days too, I just need a Becky to make it. All the best for the bull calf to pull though.

Rev. Paul said...

That right there was a tough day. I hope the sick one makes it.

Cathy said...

I think how tame my life is . . . even boring. Yes, I imagine sometimes you'd like to do boring, but still - day to day - your involvement with weather, animals and your family . . .

From my vantage, it looks so rich and full.

Hope the little ones grow healthy and strong.

threecollie said...

Joated, last night we got in just after 8 and thought we were having a vacation. lol at least we had the one heifer and she is a pip. Liz is giving all the new baby calves a probiotic mixture in their milk right from birth and some of them are eating hay before they are 12 hours old. Amazing!

Becky, um, thanks, but prolly not.

SC Momma. haven't seen him today as it is my morning off but he made a great recovery yesterday and was looking good.

Jan, lol, we were very well fed, but I sure wish I could train myself to sleep late on my Sunday mornings off.

WW, thanks, they were doing great last night. As I told Joated above, Liz is doing something different with the calves and it seems to be paying amazing dividends. The probiotic is this stuff: http://www.jefferslivestock.com/probios-dispersible-powder/camid/liv/cp/16568/
We have always used it for older animals that go off feed and lose the balance of micro organisms in their rumens. However, supplementing new born babies is something Liz started and it really gives them a boost to get their digestive systems working.

Linda, thank you! Having a Becky is like having a Paula Deen right in the kitchen. lol, the girl watches all the cooking shows and can take things I hate, such as French toast, and turn them into special treats.

Rev. Paul, no report so far today, (my morning off) but he made a remarkable recovery by yesterday and was up and bright and perky. Wish he was a girl.....

Thanks, Cathy, you are right....sometimes the stress is almost unbearable though...so much responsibility for so many living creatures and the machines that make their lives possible.
But is is rich and interesting.
And crazy. Last night the compressor that cools the milk would not turn on. Saturday night...if we called a repair guy we would pay an astronomical rate. I was really discouraged, depressed, and miserable. On Saturdays I just want to get done and let it go until Sunday night when I go back to work. I could have cried. We messed with it for a long time, called a friend of Liz's who works in refrigeration for advice, then the darned cell phone died...I was at my wit's end. We worked late every single night this week and lack of sleep wasn't doing anybody any good. Then the boss fiddled with some buttons on the control box and the motors whirred to life. I hugged him!!! I am not a particularly demonstrative person, but dang, it was as happy making as finding a hundred dollar bill on the ground...more even. lol

Cathy said...

Oh Marianne, Marianne. . .

I just dropped into a chair crying with exhaustion with Keith hovering over me.

For several days now I've been trying to clean the basement. Every item is filthy with DKon and mouse droppings.

It's been two flights of stairs a hundred times everyday with respirators and heavy loads and sinks full of water and trash bags everywhere.

I just hit a wall. And I DON'T CRY.

I just did. Like a baby after nearly passing out.

Keith steered me to a chair and said; 'Stop.'

But, my friend. I 'can' stop.

There's the difference . . .as you say . . . so many lives depending on you. I'm starting to get teary again.

God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh! I hate days like that. I'm glad they are doing well or better in the little calf in the greenhouse.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

threecollie said...

Cathy, that is a worse job than anything I do. You need to rest! And hire kids to help you! Please, please take care of yourself and listen to Keith. Even without ever meeting him I can tell that he is a very smart guy.

Linda, me too. There are SO many decisions to make and many of them mean life or death for the animals involved. Will be so glad for green grass and all the cows to be calved and milking.

Cathy said...

Thanks, Marianne. I'm taking doctor's orders. Flat on the couch and about to get a foot rub as he watches Ohio State basketball :) Life is good. Hope you're getting a breather, too.

threecollie said...

Cathy, glad to hear it! You take care.