(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Surf along the Mohawk

Saturday, May 25, 2019

Surf along the Mohawk



They opened some of the Mohawk River locks the other day and the boats surged up the river like spawning salmon.


We were birding Yankee Hill Lock when convoys began to pass us, some of them flying by as if late for luncheon with the king.



You should have heard some of the wakes whacking the bank.... It was interesting indeed as the river is full of logs and whole trees and all manner of trash.....




It was almost like being at the ocean again...except that I missed the sand. 




4 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

I had to chuckle at your descriptions!

Unknown said...

I looked up where Yankee Hill Lock is located. By all that I have heard, the Erie Canal is breathtaking and serene. So I wouldn't know why they would be speeding through. Maybe because they are all from NYFC.

Many moons ago I had traced out a sea route that would allow me to navigate to the quiet beach where my maternal grandparents lived on Lake Michigan. I was delighted with myself as I considered the possibilities. Then I heard about something called the Great Loop. Wha...you mean I hadn't discovered it? Anyway, I still hope that I will do the loop. And Erie is on my list.

Thank you for the delightful photographs.

Rick

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

What fun to watch all that boat traffic! Sometimes I forget how connected we are to the rest of the world by our local waterways. I could hop in my little canoe, set out on a nearby stream and eventually make my way to the sea from right here at home. Cool photos!

threecollie said...

Linda, it is run to watch them race by. We always, always stop when a big one is passing

Rick, wow, I had to look that up. Amazing! I had heard of and seen the Inland Waterway, but I had no idea that you could make a loop like that! I hope you get to do it some day. Thanks for visiting and taking time to comment.