(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The Old Goldfish Trick

Friday, May 24, 2019

The Old Goldfish Trick

The changeling

One of the many delights of living with a granddaughter who goes to preschool is remembering the many Mother's Day marigolds that have come home over the years. Earnest young hands, proud young faces, tiny, fragile baby plants that had big pots to fill. What's not to love?

When Peggy brought hers home to her beloved mother, grandma was happy to take over its care.....it's what I do....grow green things.

However, the tiny, two-leafed seedling died almost instantly. I was horrified! I have a Christmas cactus my mother gave me when I still lived home...in say.....1968 maybe?

And a split-leafed philodendron that came to me when I was in college. Our house with its 3 gigantic (4'X8') east facing living room windows is like a greenhouse. Some plants die on me, but a marigold? Seriously?

So the boss and I hatched a plot...had the same idea at literally the same instant in fact. Run over to Sunnycrest, grab a box of bedding marigolds, and plant one in the now empty pot.

We put that in motion that very day while she was at school. I picked the old fashioned maroon and golden kind because they tickled my nostalgia bone for the ones we brought home to our mamas back in the days when dinosaurs were just starting to morph into birds and we were learning to see Spot run.

It was worth every mile and every single penny. When she saw it she went wild, "it grew, it grew, it grew!" and danced all around the living room.

Since the boss thought it appropriate to fill up a whole flat with other goodies for me to plant it was a winner all around.

Then we found out why the first marigold expired so precipitously. Seems Peggy dropped it on the way home with it and the poor thing was entirely uprooted and then stuffed back into to the pot with a wish and a hope.

I felt much better, what with my somewhat greenish thumb untarnished. Now to find places for all these. 

Lagniappe



6 comments:

Jan said...

This brought back sweet memories of my grandson, the master grower. We replanted his sunflowers every year.-

Jonna said...

What a delightful story!

threecollie said...

Jan, I was always so tickled when the kids brought them home, and even more so when Peggy brought hers. I felt terrible when it died.

Jonna, thank you

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

Beautiful story of a loving grandma! Isn't life wonderful! Love, Mom and Dad

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Great story! But just what I would expect from such a loving grandma eager to not disappoint her adorable grandchild.

threecollie said...

Mom, (and dad) she is just so much fun! A funny, enthusiastic little person with so much going on in that little blonde head. Love you!

Jacqueline, it was so much fun! She was quizzing me this morning on whether I was taking good care of it now. I had to laugh. I kinda need to put it outside for its own sake but I am not sure how she is going to feel about that.