(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Men at Work

Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Men at Work


With our son and my brother and his son working in the construction industry...coast to coast and in Canada too.... I find myself most interested in how stuff gets built and repaired. 



Of course the drilling and grouting that they do is especially fascinating, but other aspects of the industry fascinate me as well. We humans are a clever lot and we have taken tool use to amazing levels.



Thus when the rig above pulled into the boat launch parking lot the other day when we were birding I stopped and watched from a comfy pick-a-nick table bench. It was awesome seeing them maneuver that great big boat and huge truck down to the launch and into the water.



How cool is it that the pontoons were up on top when it pulled in and down floating the boat when they launched? The boss says they were lowered hydraulically. I missed seeing that part as they were behind a tree from me.



The rig is designed for bridge repair and inspection and the company that runs it can be found here: Harcon Corp. Some go up 65 FEET! And the boat is described here: Bucket Boat



Didn't see too many great birds that morning, but I was sure glad we stopped. 


5 comments:

joated said...

What an unusual looking craft. I suppose there's quite a bit below the waterline so as to keep it stable when that boom does its thing.

joated said...

Or, maybe, it's just very broad abeam for the same reason.

Jan said...

I never know what I will find at the Northview blog.

Terry and Linda said...

WOW! I'm with you on watching machines at work. This was neat. Thank you

threecollie said...

Joated, excellent question. I really don't know, but Ralph says that it has both pontoons and a hull, which would make it wide. Amazing craft! I was so tickled to be able to see it launched.

Jan, lol, so much cool stuff to see and learn about....

Linda, it made my day!