(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Afterwards

Tuesday, November 05, 2019

Afterwards

River mud before the storm

The wind and rain of last week did staggering damage. Towns were wrecked and roads destroyed. People lost their houses and things. One person was killed.

The day after the dervish we had to go to Walmart to shop for ourselves and for my folks. We like to park over against the fence where we may have to walk farther but we can walk safer, being away from the heaviest traffic areas.

Not that day.

All the rows were lined with power company trucks, from far away states and even Canada.

Between the aisles of vehicles perhaps thirty people, I think most were men, but it looked like a couple of women too, were lined in a neat circle of day-glo orange jackets and pants listening to a briefing before they went to work fixing NY.

I took a couple of quick photos of the solemn group before we hurried in to do the job we normally would have done the day before, but my phone lost them. Dagnabbit.

I wish I could thank every one of those people, from the man explaining the correct protocol for transformers and guard rails and everything they would to face after the flood and wind, to each and every one of the people far from home but ready to do what was needed. And every other person who has been and is working to restore power and transportation to our friends and neighbors across the area. I heard 30 is already open north of Northville, which is incredible considering the damage. I wonder how Route 8 is coming...

Anyhow, this is the best I can do....so thanks!

No comments: