(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: A Scream in the Night

Sunday, December 29, 2019

A Scream in the Night


Many of my adventures occur while walking dogs in the early morning darkness. Although we live right on the edge of town, our wild acres are home to many creatures, as can be ascertained by checking out the morning track trails on the lawn....

Today the red-in-tooth-and-claw aspect of rural life came quite close.

Very close.

I had Finn, the finicky Border Collie, who must carefully peruse a great deal of countryside before choosing his "place".

He was perusin' and choosin' when a bloody murder kill-death-die screech came from right over on the long lawn, maybe thirty yards away. I clutched that leash like it was a lifeline and I was drowning because like many BCs he goes toward danger not away. He was loaded for bear or whatever else was out there.

But I yelled at him to stop and amazingly he did

Before my heart even stopped pounding I realized that it was a bunny meeting its maker. Our lawn is practically paved with Eastern Cottontails in the night and somebody "harvested" one for breakfast.

It was most likely a Red Fox. Their catlike tracks lace the snow behind the house each morning when I go out and we see them often in summer....too dark in the winter. I will never forget the first time I heard one yarring out there in the night. Sounded worse than the poor bunny.

Could also have been a Great Horned Owl. We have them, although they rarely come down near the house. I haven't heard them hooting yet this winter.



Anyhow, coffee or not I am awake now. And I cannot lie...it was more interesting than tragic to me as landlord to chickens and tender of gardens. Let the wild things eat the wild things rather than the pet poultry and the green beans. Bon appetite creature of the night.





6 comments:

Jan said...

The circle of life would beat morning coffee.

Terry and Linda said...

Nothing like the scream or call of a wild creature to wake a person up. We have two mating great horned owls here. I love to hear them talking although I worry when the cat insists on being outside.

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

I would have run for the house with my hair streaming behind me and my nightgown all awry. I don't like night sounds and have always been afraid of the monsters in the dark, except I do love a star studded sky. Love Mom

threecollie said...

Jan, it certainly startled me for a minute and the dog lit up like a live wire. I knew what it was in a couple of seconds though and dragged out my tiny LED flashlight to try to see what was out there. Didn't though. I would have walked over there but with a 45-lb dog and all the ice it seemed unwise. lol

Linda, oh, how I would love to hear them! I listen for ours every single morning but they are usually way at the back of the property so I rarely hear them. I only heard one scream once but what a wild and chilling sound!

Mom, oh, how I love you! And it is easy to see where all my fun with words came from! I can just see you! Love you!

Cathy said...

Oh Marianne! Yes! Now we all see where your gift came from! :)

threecollie said...

Cathy, yeah, my mama was a writer long before I even thought of it...