(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: It's not the Party

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

It's not the Party



It's the journey that matters.

35 years ago on this day I talked my brother into milking the cows for me at my job on a large dairy farm. He had gotten me the job in the first place when he went into the military and they needed someone to take his place, so he knew the ropes...first girl at the job btw, but it worked out all right.

He was the only one we told...besides two very dear friends who also knew what was up. Had to let him in on the deal to get him to milk as he wasn't home much in those days.

Went to a JP with our friends, and stood in his living room saying words that moved me nearly to tears. There was such a rightness. There were even unplanned flowers as our friends brought us some. They were nice.

Then they took us out for Chinese. I had never tasted it before, but it was the beginning of a long and enjoyable relationship. Too salty for me now and I miss it.

The nearly perfect (introvert-style) wedding was followed by that journey I mentioned.

There were kids and cows and amazing dogs and involvement in all sorts of organizations.

There was good and bad and heartbreak and joy. 

It was the most amazing trip I have ever taken, like a spin on the world's highest, fastest roller coaster, with lots of good food and fun along the way.

I sure am glad I didn't miss the party. 

Happy Anniversary boss, it's been quite a life.

7 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh Marianne. Truly. Your words. Your "assessment" . . actually "poetry" as you share your life's journey with Ralph. I am so touched . . so moved by your open-eyed, open-hearted review of your life together.

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

Happy Anniversary to you both. So nice you could spend it this year getting your Mom and Dad their groceries and milk. To say nothing of hauling our garbage up to the road for us and getting our mail. I sure hope when you two are in your late 80's your kids will do the same for you. I bet they will. Love to you both and your wonderful family. Ralph I sent you a hug, now you give her one! Love, Mom

Terry and Linda said...

OH! This was so sweet and wonderful and well===just perfect. I even have tears of happiness in my eyes for you.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY MARIANNE AND RALPH!!!

Denny144 said...

Awwwwww. Congratulations, you two.

threecollie said...

Cathy, thanks. We have had...and are still having...quite a time.

Mom, what better way could there possibly be to spend it. Family first and always. Sorry we couldn't get your tonic water. As it turned out we were home about the same time as both Liz and Peg arrived, so we didn't really have to rush. Love you too, and thanks for all the hugs!

Linda, thank you so very, very much!

Denny, thank you!

Shirley, thank you kindly! Keep those videos of Moondance coming, thanks.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

I am so happy for you! Why then, are my eyes filling with tears while reading your love story? Must be the wonderful way you tell it. May God bless you both and grant you many more years of happy companionship together.

threecollie said...

Jacqueline, thank you for your kind words. There have been many rough times, but I always felt that we were meant for each other and I guess we were.