(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Learning Curve

Monday, August 03, 2020

Learning Curve


This year marks the first time
I have participated in a breeding bird atlas. It is also the first time data entry, maps, instructions etc. were done online.

It is exciting for me, as during the last atlas we were still milking cows, my late mother-in-law was seriously ill and we were too busy to even notice, let alone participate.

However, there is a pretty steep learning curve, at least for me, in doing it right...or at least rightish.

Since the affair began I have tried to stay within block lines for my lists, as you are supposed to do. However, the lines that I thought were block lines on the maps were something else entirely (no idea what). Thus lots of lists that were eligible for the atlas crossed those lines and I didn't submit them to the atlas portal.

Over the past few days I realized that most of those lists are eligible and so I fixed the issue.

Made me quite pleased and sure upped my stats for confirmed species in various blocks. So far I have confirmed 20 in the block where we live, ranging from Ruby-throated Hummingbirds to Ospreys.

Had a lot of fun doing it too. Today I accidentally found breeding Eastern Wood Peewees at Yankee Hill Lock. Such cute little birds.

Anyone else atlasing?

6 comments:

Cathy said...

WOW! What a great thing to do! Congratulations :)

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

I'm sorry daughter but that is not a phoebe, that is a falcon denoted by the black mark on his face. Love you, Mom

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

Now that I look again, I think it is a sparrow hawk. Mom.

threecollie said...

Cathy, thanks!


Mom, I know what it is. Google has just changed Blogger so I can't caption my photos. It is a male American Kestrel or sparrow hawk. The top photo is an Eastern Wood Peewee. Alas, no captions though I did try. Love you too.

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

I know you knew, I'm just busting you. Love you daughter!!!! Mom

threecollie said...

It's okay, mama, you can pick on me if you want to. Love you!