(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Freezing Winter Squash the Lazy Way

Tuesday, September 01, 2020

Freezing Winter Squash the Lazy Way

 


There are many ways to put up winter squash, some of which involve peeling, cubing, boiling and all manner of pains in the neck.

However, many moons ago I stumbled upon an easier way to do it, which requires minutes of prep and very little final work.

First I give the squash a nice scrub. We like butternuts best and acorn second best so that is what we use. Then I place the squashes on a foil lined oven sheet and poke several holes in them with a fork so as to let the steam escape.



Next step is to stick them in the oven at either 325 or 350 and cook until tender.

Let them cool enough to handle comfortably, slice in half, scoop out and discard the innards (if we have pigs they get them and love them or else into the compost bin they go).

Then scoop out the good part with a spoon, mash, and freeze in plastic freezer bags or containers.

It's that easy. I used to dread doing squash. Now I do an oven full every few days and soon have enough for the whole winter.

Later, when the cold winter winds are howling and a hot, fragrant, nutty-sweet dish of squash is desired.... I just put it in an oven safe bowl, add butter and a little maple syrup, cuz we love it, and either bake or microwave. 

It is so good!



4 comments:

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

Oh Boy, does that butternut squash look good. So good I can almost taste it. Love, Mom

threecollie said...

Hi Mom, I will try to remember to bring you some next time we come up. Love you

Marcie said...

Hi! I'm a stranger, just stumbled upon your blog when I googled "farm blogs." I'm dying to have a farm someday, hopefully next year, but for now I am stuck in the city and have a big garden at our neighbor's. Just wanted to comment that for my squash I just pick it, wash it, then grate it with the cheese grater, and put it into ziplock bags to freeze. Then add it to soups in the winter. Same with zucchini. For my tomatoes I just throw into the blender. I'm sure roasted are way better, but if you don't have time, just puree and pour into a ziplock to freeze.
Love your blog so far! This is my first night seeing it! Beautiful pictures!

threecollie said...

Marcie, hi! So glad you happened upon Northview. Hope you are able to find your farm and soon. Your ideas sound excellent and thanks for the tips. Sounds as if everything would taste quite fresh. I am just messing around with the roasted tomatoes because I am spending so much time babysitting anyhow...lol... Hoping they add real flavor to soups this winter. Amazingly our container grown tomatoes are outdoing themselves this year and I am ever so grateful. We get our squash from local Amish farmers who have very reasonable prices and nice products.
Anyhow, thanks for stopping by and for your kind words. I have met many wonderful friends through Northview and hope to continue to do so.