(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Today's Special

Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Today's Special

 


Was a short visit to Yankee Hill Lock. First we saw a Common Loon. Not really rare, but a nice bird to spot.

Later the boss, with his amazing eagle eyes, spotted a Ruby-throated Hummingbird clinging to a small branch. Now, they have been showing up at the cannas almost every day at home, but I guess it is late for them, so I got one of those little yellow boxes on eBird that I had to fill out to report it. It did looking kinda cold.



Best though was a pair of Merlins. I spotted one high in a snag and happily noted same.

Then having turned to cross the road I heard a great din. There was hawk like screaming, a world of chattering and a big lot of commotion. I saw a crow zooming right toward me.

Under it was another bird, or should I say two of them..... one of the Merlins had taken what experts say is probably a Downy Woodpecker. 

The crow veered away when it spotted me, but the Merlin landed right in front of me with its still fluttering prey.

Pretty exciting. Felt sorry for the woodpecker though.



2 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

The world of predators is a tough world. Great photos, though.

threecollie said...

Linda, I was sorry for the poor woodpecker, but the Merlin was getting hammered too by the crows. Nature isn't always pretty I guess.