(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: A Little Breeze

Tuesday, March 02, 2021

A Little Breeze

 


Over the weekend, not only did my brother and his wife put four sets of brake pads and one caliper assembly on our car, (thanks, Matt and Lisa) but Matt gave me a big bucket of drill cores from a dam in Vermont.

They are maybe a handspan...my hand that is...in diameter, and range from eight inches to a foot long. 

They are solid stone.

Last night as we battened down the hatches, the boss put a tarp over some wood shavings bags in the yard that are waiting to go in the pony stalls.

He set the entire five-gallon pail on one corner of the tarp and laid individual cores on the rest.

This morning I found drill cores scattered in the driveway, with one all the way over on the other side and the tarp completely out from under the bucket (!!!!) and wrapped around a tree...

That was some wind! The overnight low was projected to ten degrees with winds gusting to 60 mph. It ended up down to five degrees right now. I slept like a baby though. Three extra blankets, with my head under them all as it was so drafty and noisy. Didn't hear a thing.

This morning even the birds that usually don't show up at the feeders until midmorning or so were there before the sun was even up.

I double fed on the ground and in the flower pot, as I brought the plastic feeders in last night to keep them from banging on things and breaking.

Seventeen Common Redpolls showed up, along with extra-large numbers of almost everything  else.

It's like January all over again.


Some people
banding American Black Ducks
at Lock 12

4 comments:

Shirley said...

I love the Redpolls- we used to have a whole flock of them in our crabapple trees all winter when we lived west of Edmonton Alberta but I rarely see them here.

threecollie said...

Shirley, used to be common here as well, but for quite a while they have been very rare this far south. However, this has been a banner year for them and I am much enjoying their visits. At first we saw one or two intermittently, but now there is a whole flock waiting in the trees when I go out to feed in the morning.

Terry and Linda said...

I love your bird photo! Winter...it's time! BE GONE!

threecollie said...

Thanks, Linda, and I agree, bye-bye to winter works for me.