(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The Cupcake

Thursday, April 22, 2021

The Cupcake


 Each morning Mack and I spend some quality time
in the kitchen before the rest of the house is astir. In weather as cold as this he can't go out to his run, and it is risky to leave him unobserved, so when I can't be with him he is crated. When I can be in the kitchen though, we have good times, and in warm weather he can be out a lot.

Today I chanced leaving him alone while I fed the birds. It takes only a tiny amount of time...I can get them fed before the microwave is finished with my coffee and I only heat that for two minutes.

When I got back in today, all seemed well. No shredded plastic bags found under something in the pantry. No stolen Peggy lunchbox. No socks, shoes, bottle caps, knives or other miscellany lying around half destroyed. Considering that he is a Jack Russell Terrier that is pretty darned good. I was happy.

Until a couple of hours later when the boss and I were heading out to chase a few birds and run a couple of errands. 

There was a smear of something dark on the table. Hot button with me. Certain individuals like to construct sammiches there without benefit of plates. It's a nice table my next younger brother built, beautiful reddish blonde butcher block style and I love it. No sammiches should ever touch its silky surface.

However, the boss swore he hadn't done the dastardly deed...and then I remembered....

The cupcake!

Seems we folks of the feminine persuasion attended a shower the other day. We brought home some chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting. I ate mine on the way home, and Becky had hers. There was just one left and  it had been on the table the night before in all its glory.

It was gone.

Of course it was gone...wrapper and all.

Now, I could of course have rushed my little guy to the vet for charcoal and supportive therapy etc. However, I decided to watch him for symptoms and hope that he was okay. I've had dogs steal chocolate before with never any sign of ill effects.

However, I watched that dog like a hawk all day. He had more walkies and playtime and hugs and cuddles than he could believe he was getting. Almost wagged his stubby little tail off. Every time we had to leave, I rushed in to check him and give him some attention the minute we got back.

He seemed completely fine, but still I worried. We got back from Sprout Brook this afternoon, and I noticed LIz had his crate covered...he hates Ren and barks incessantly if he can see her.

I asked how he was

She said, "He's fine, just as much of a jerk as ever. All he does is bark.

    Why?"

So I told her about the cupcake.

"Oh, Mom, Peggy and I ate the cupcake last night. We shared it."

Of course they did.


Cupcakes?
Who said cupcakes?

7 comments:

Scott said...

That is a great story. Our Cocker Spaniel puppy will chew anything she can get her teeth on. I feel you, as they say.

Terry and Linda said...

I was so sure you were going to say your little guy went over the rainbow bridge...this was ever so much better! A healthy dog and a cupcake for a granddaughter!

Denny144 said...

🤣🤣🤣

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Ha ha! Great story! A happier ending than one I could tell about how our Dachshund could access a box on a ping-pong table containing one baby chicken. No chairs anywhere near. But somehow that squat little mutt got up on that table and not a downy feather remained. Except the tuft stuck to that naughty dog's snout.

Shirley said...

Hahahaha! what a great story- I do love a happy ending!

Cathy said...

LOVE IT!! THANK YOU!! APPRECIATE THE CHUCKLE :)

threecollie said...

Scott, puppies will do it every time! lol. Mack's only excuse is terrierhood, as he is six years old.

Linda, I am so sorry! I was somewhat worried, but he was fine all day and I couldn't figure out how he could have got up on the table. He is such a little guy.

Jacqueline, oh dear! Mack has done his share of chicken murder. He only got loose and did it once, but it was bad, bad, bad. Those little hunting dogs can fool us, but they were bred for their job.

Shirley, thanks! I was pretty happy when I found out the girls ate the cuppy cake. lol

Cathy, thanks!