(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Damn the Ticks, Full Speed Ahead

Friday, June 11, 2021

Damn the Ticks, Full Speed Ahead

 

Savannah Sparrow

I woke up this morning....very early...with the idea of walking way back in the fields.

Feeding a chick

It was still too dark, but as soon as it was light enough to see the birds...around 6...I started up the hill. I hoped to confirm breeding in some of the grassland birds that we know nest on our land.


Female Bobolink

It was a great walk, although the grass was over my head in many places, hence my concern about ticks. I didn't finish birding until around ten, and then, just as I submitted what would have been my final list, I spotted a male Downy Woodpecker feeding a male juvenile at the suet feeder. They seem to bring their young in every year to introduce them to the wonders of bird feeders and are absurdly tame.


Male Bobolink

Up in the fields I found Bobolinks carrying food, which confirms breeding, and Savannah Sparrows actually feeding chicks. I don't think I have ever managed to confirm them before so that was really cool.


Willow Flycatcher...Fitz bew!
There was an Alder Flycatcher too, and I tried
really hard to record his Free Beer but he was too far away

If you would like to see what I saw, I think you can by clicking the links to my lists below.


Song Sparrow, gleaning bits of hay from the
disc bine for a nest


List one, the walk from the house to the top of the hill.

List two, the 30-acre Lot

List three, the Old Spreader Field.

List four, the walk back down the hill.


Eastern Phoebe

I made a couple of lists at the house as well. The poor boss is sick with a honey badger of a cold, so I am on my own for bird chasing, but I still had a terrific time. I sure hope he feels better soon though...No ticks on me so far, after a couple of tick checks...hopefully that trend continues.


Papa Downy Woodpecker feeding his chick

Another Savannah Sparrow




5 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh Marianne!!!! Beyond lovely and full of wonder! Thank you for sharing your song-filled dream world!

Shirley said...

The bobolink male is quite interesting compared to the female. I would never have guessed them to be mates. Loved the video- so much song!

Jacqueline Donnelly said...


Wonderful bird photos! My eyesight is so poor I never get a good view of them, so your clear photos are just about my only form of birding. Although I can bird a bit by ear, if not by eyes. I never realized a bobolink looked so purely black and white. Regarding ticks, I have sprayed most of my outdoor clothes with Permethrin and haven't found any on me if I wear those clothes. I finally had to wash them, smelly and muddy as they were, and ventured out without treated garments. I bet you know what happened. Four tick bites in two days while the clothes were in the wash, not a one when wearing the treated clothes. That stuff really works!

threecollie said...

Jacqueline, thank you. And thanks for the tip about the clothing. I actually have some of that spray but have been hesitant to use it. Maybe I will give it a try. Ticks are horrible.

threecollie said...

Cathy, thanks for your kind words!

Shirley, thanks! The Bobolinks were so loud I had a hard time recording other birds