(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: So why

Sunday, October 31, 2021

So why

 


The blog drought? Nothing but Sunday Stills posts as far as the eye can see...

Well, first I guess is that the short days and darkness really mess with me. I just plod along one foot in front of the other and hope for the best. Not much joy this time of year.

Then there was pointing up part of the house foundation. The big limestone blocks and random field stones of one part were devoid of anything resembling mortar so we mixed up some stuff and had at it. Felt good about that but the next part is under one of the porches. Not looking forward to that, but it only took a couple of hours to get almost half of the total done so that's a good thing.


We did get over to Cooperstown NY to look for American Coots
Found them (thanks Bill)
As well as this statue, named Indian Hunter
by John Quincy Adams Ward.

Not much birding/not many birds. With all the rain the river is barely staying in its banks let alone receding to reveal lovely mud flats and shallow feeding areas that ducks and water birds love. Just roiling waves and swirling currents and logs and branches galore. Scandalous gas prices don't help either. We have to ration our travel pretty sharply. 


Lotsa Black Scoters

We saw good ones last week though, at the same reservoir where I took several of the Sunday Stills photos this week. When we arrived there was a flock of ducks in the middle of the first large impoundment at Cobleskill Reservoir.

I knew right away they were something cool, but neither my camera nor my binoculars were up to the job of being sure what they were. I could see that they were scoters, but which ones? Turned out they were Black Scoters and not the rarer sort I thought and hoped they were but still the first ones I had seen in NY. Forgot I had seen one in NC, so not lifers but still cool.

So anyhow, between the season and not much of interest going on, I have not been able to write much. Sorry. Better days are coming, it says here in fine print...or at least that is what my dad used to tell me.





5 comments:

Shirley said...

Same here, rainy days when you just want to hibernate or sit by the fire.

Val Ewing said...

I often feel that this is the time of year that is kind of boring. All of the crazy summer activity has come to a screeching halt.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Every field needs to lie fallow from time to time. I think that's true of our creativity, as well. At least, that's MY excuse! I, too, have been lagging at blogging, feeling as if I have said all I have to say. But then I find something out there in the woods or along the water I just can't wait to share with folks who just MIGHT be interested. Just think how long we have been blogging, too: almost 13 years for me, even longer for you. So maybe we deserve a little vacation. And I know that your gift will reassert itself when it is ready. You are a born writer/observer/sharer, and whatever you will share with us next will surely be worth the wait.

Terry and Linda said...

I struggle from this point on until Spring comes. The time change makes it worse. I wish they would leave it right like it is right now. I so understand.

threecollie said...

Shirley, I fight the urge to hibernate every single fall! So far I am winning but....lol

Val, with me it's the short days. I want to fall asleep whenever it is dark.

Jacqueline, Thank you so much for your kind words. I hope you never feel that you have said all you need to say. I love reading your blog and learning and seeing your stunning photographs. I think of you all the time when I look at wild plants, sometimes because I have learned their names from you, sometimes because I wish you were there to tell me what they are, and sometimes just because.

Linda, Boy, do I ever agree with that. The time change is both pointless and unhealthy, dangerous even! More heart attacks around that time than pretty much any other time of year!