(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Sorry/Not Sorry

Wednesday, May 04, 2022

Sorry/Not Sorry


 
Most years American Crows nest in the hedgerow that separates us from the next place to the east. They maraud a bit here in the yard, but not much more than passing birds do. I figure it's up to the catbirds and robins to hide the nests really well if they want to raise chicks.

However, this year, I had mixed emotions when they built a nest in a spruce just down the driveway from the house right in front of my sitting porch. I know about nature and all but that doesn't mean I want to watch up close as those nest robbing bandits do their deeds. It has been interesting to watch them though, and I was looking forward to seeing the young start adventuring.

I have even more mixed emotions now though. Two night ago there was a Godawful racket out in the yard just past sunset. I couldn't believe my ears. I never hear crows when it is dark at all. Robins will natter on, mockingbirds will sing all night, but crows are generally silent when the sun is gone. 

These were screaming. Sounded like twenty rather than two. Then a huge shape wafted past the window with both crow parents in hot pursuit.

Since that time I have seen no nest visits and the sentinels have left their patient spot in the cottonwood tree where the driveway forks. Previously one or the other spent hours there every day just watching the nest, which is almost invisible, even if you know where to look. I only found it by seeing them go in and out with sticks earlier in the year.

I suspect that whatever that big flying shape was either carried off the chicks or ate the eggs.

An owl maybe? I don't know.

And I don't know whether to be sorry or not sorry.



6 comments:

aurora said...

I am not a fan of crows & wouldn't want a nest nearby either. I know they are intelligent (for a bird) and many people love watching them do what they do, but not me.

Shirley said...

Since it was night time it was most likely an owl. We were blessed to have barn owls nesting in a pole barn where we used to live.

Terry and Linda said...

I'm not a huge fan of Crows or Ravens...they are deadly on new-born calves' eyes.

threecollie said...

Aurora, I was concerned when they built, but interested in seeing them raising the young. As far as I could see this morning though, the nest is now inactive, so I don't have to worry about them bothering local birds. I have also seen very few crows near the yard since the event.

Shirley, I envy you the Barn Owls. They used to be common here in the valley and as kids, Ralph and I both lived where they nested in barns. I have not seen a single one since then!

Linda, I have heard that. So far not much of an issue here in the NE, and hopefully not to become one. We have more of a problem with Black Vultures harming stock, and the occasional aggressive Turkey Vulture.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Crows are such amazing birds, sassy and smart and with wonderful family values, with the young from previous years helping with the new babes. And they do look out for one another, even if not related. Sure, they raid other birds' nests, just as I would if I had chickens. All God's children gotta eat!

threecollie said...

Jacqueline, I was somewhat disappointed when the nest was raided. I was looking forward to watching them with their fledglings, but it was not to be. Ralph saw them flying to a cottonwood across the road with sticks, so maybe they are trying again.