(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Brand new goslings

Friday, May 11, 2007

Brand new goslings


Liz took this out the car window when we driving over to the school today (she forgot to hand in a scholarship application and it was due today...since she bought me gold fish and a water lily and some hens and chicks for Mothers Day I am sure not complaining).
These babies just came off the nest, because the girls have been watching the parents setting. The silly things nest within yards of the road. Just a few yards from here Becky and I was an American bittern on Tuesday, a life bird for me....don't get too many of those any more.

**You may want to click to get a better view.

5 comments:

Wil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wil said...

Canada Geese do the same thing up here, nesting near ditches along the interstate!

Hit one of those at 70 as she takes off low and slow and you are dead meat...

(Had to correct an egregious spelling error in the previous attempt)

threecollie said...

Hi Wil, thanks, for visiting.
They are something else aren't they? I won't lie and say I actually like the resident geese. They do a lot of crop damage and make messes everywhere. I couldn't resist having Liz take the picture though, as they were so close and couldn't move off very quickly because of the hatchlings. This particular bit of beaver swamp is incredibly productive of all sorts of exciting bird sightings. Except for the danger of rolling the car on the curves I love driving through.

Cathy said...

You are sooo lucky to get that bittern. I've only ever seen one and from a distance. Have you heard it making the weird sounds? If not - google it - it's worth the effort.

threecollie said...

Cathy, it was a tremendous thrill for me. I only wish there had been no car right behind me so we could have taken a picture. After a lifetime of admittedly casual birding a life bird is rare...and treasured.