(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Okay, which is it?

Friday, November 09, 2007

Okay, which is it?

TFS Magnum posted this fun test the other day. You can use it to discover what reading level is required to understand your blog.

I ran my three through it just for the heck of it. It was kind of startling to discover that Northview is written at the elementary school level. (Geez Louise, I thought I was a little more erudite than that.) However, I do have an excuse for writing for the underage set. Years of writing the Farm Side with an older version of Word, which measured the grade level of a written document, schooled me to make things as simple as possible. I want it readable, so people can get through it fast. (I miss that feature, which isn't inlcuded in the version I use now....and I get complaints about complicated articles too.)

Still...elementary! I was humbled. After all, I'm not Watson. Then I ran Garden Records and the View at Northview through it. Both registered Genius level. What the heck? I could see Garden Records, which has passages from Charles Thurwood's 1874 farm diary, turning out that way. They require a little deciphering......but The View is a photo blog for Pete's sake. Even the dog can read it. I am still confused.

Have a go at it anyhow and let me know how you wind up. It really is kind of fun, even if it is puzzling too.

15 comments:

Joni said...

Mine topped out at College level. I am a bit surprised by your level. I think it is a bit more complicated than that. (Joke to threecollie-- we might have to simpify things for the city slickers. LOL)

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Mine scored High School. That's OK, because I never did attend college. We Upstaters have to keep the language simple for the Downstaters, you know. ;)

My daughter's blog got Post Graduate College Level! I am bursting at the seams because she has been entirely homeschooled!

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Oooo this is such a fun quiz! My daughter ran it on her other blog and got "Genius." LOL!

threecollie said...

Hi Joni, well, I have had a lot of practice writing at an elementary level....lol

Mrs. M, homeschooled is good....

Mrs. M I like it too, although I am not sure how a photo blog came up genius.

Stacy said...

I did this somewhere else yesterday and wound up with "high school." I'd love to know what they base this on. I know people that write quite witty political blogs that scored only at the jr. high level. Something's screwy.

hh said...

I wonder what this is based on? I got genius and feel that my blog must be elementary school at best..but I will accept and post the genius title on my blog nonetheless! ;)

Rebecca Mecomber said...

I initially it may be based on vocabulary, but I wonder now... fun and silly!

Anonymous said...

Whatever it is, it suits me just fine!

threecollie said...

Stacy, Interesting indeed

HH, I would. lol

Mrs m, could be

NW, it was fun anyhow...and The View and Garden Records are genius, even if poor Northview is just a dummy. Really though I think it is a measure of readability. I used to use something very similar to vet the Farm Side every week and I deliberately shot for an 8th grade reading level, even though I often started out higher. I wanted everyone to be able to read it without too much effort.

Jeffro said...

Mine was only elementary as well. I'm curious what their criteria is.

Cathy said...

I haven't run my blog through yet, cause I'm scared ;0) but hey! any blog that uses the word 'erudite' is way beyond the elementary level.

I'm glad you referenced The View at Northview. There are some very lovely pixes over there.

Cathy said...

Whew. "High School"

Now what the heck am I going to have to do catch up with you, Ms.Genius level?

Hmmm. Maybe if I do a post with the phrase 'quantum mechanics'. ;0D

threecollie said...

Jeffro, I am convinced that it is readability, which means that elementary is not a bad thing, but rather pretty good. lol

Cathy, as I said to Jeffro, I think genius many mean that it takes a genius to read it, lol...... so you are doing good at high school. And anyhow, you always do a great job.I love your blog!

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Hoh boy! I just have to tell you that I tried my crazy testing blog-- the one I use for testing templates and practicing html-- smartartclass.blogspot.com-- and it got genius level. C R A Z Y! I have only two posts up and they are nothing!

I do wonder what the rating is all about!

threecollie said...

Mrs. M, it was a lot of fun anyhow and sure got a dialog going., thanks for all your tips on fixing the tiling in my template!